Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 455 BW Raymond questions "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
I am very new to the Horology so please excuse my ignorance.
I am looking for some input on a watch I just purchased for a project watch.
it is a Elgin BW Raymond 19J 16S grade 455 SN#23297933 in a GF Keystone case.

1. I would like to replace the dial because of the damage but I dont think the one on it is correct. where should I start looking. are there vintage watch part suppliers around other than eBay?

2. A balance jewel screw is missing. once again I will need parts.

3. Last question. isn't the lettering on the movement suppose to be gold?

feel free to point out anything i might have over looked
Thank you in advance for any input you may have.

movement

Posts: 38 | Location: Muskogee, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: March 09, 2016
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
this is the dial

Dial

Posts: 38 | Location: Muskogee, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: March 09, 2016
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
this is the case info

case marking

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice 455 Gary. That dial is not likely original, most 455's would have a "49" dial or a Montgomery.(The 49 dial has extra bold numerals, no red 5-min track, and heavy diamond shaped hour markers) The lettering should all be gold except for the Elgin markings under the balance which should be in black.That will make a really nice watch!Parts should be easy to find. Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
Thanks Ted.
I will look for a 49 dial I know the one your talking about. as far as the gold lettering I dont think there is anything I can do about that. I have been carrying it for a few days now and haven't lost a minute. but i dont know about seconds. (yet)

posted
I have one of those 19j beauties. I prefer the damaskeening and regulator on them to the 21j BWR's that followed.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
I am very happy with it as well. I am timing it now. and haven't lost a second since yesterday. I almost hate to mess with the missing balance jewel screw.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hey Gary, There are gold inlay kits that are made for gun engravings that should work on a watch also, I've never tried it but seeing it on videos it looks like they do a nice job.I don't know if I can mention the company name on here, but if you search on Google for gold inlay kits it will come up.They only cost around 20 bucks....Ted.

Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
Thanks Ted! This was purchased as a restoration project. so it would be worth a try. I'll check it out.

Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
Ted, I just ordered the kit. I'll post pics of the outcome. Thanks again!

IHC Member 1110
posted
I hope it works out, it looks easy to do and not much money, if it can last on a gun, it should be fine on a watch movement.Usually it's the black lettering on watches that gets washed out, I don't remember seeing it happen with a gold letterd watch.Most railroad watches like that were cleaned a million times in their working life, that's for sure.Regards, Ted.

Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
Here it is, it took a little practice because the engraving is so shallow. and doesn't have the luster of the gilting but I will leave it at that.

gold lettering filled in

IHC Member 1110
posted
Gary, looks a thousand times better!Regards, Ted.

IHC Member 1016
posted
That turned out nice. Congratulations

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
Thanks Mike, I will see how it holds up to a full service.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Looks good, now find that screw and you have yourself very nice watch.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Gary Elmore
posted
Thanks Peter. the new dial is on the way and i have a line on the balance jewel with screws. thats all im waiting for to start the dissassembly.