• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Railroad ephemera "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I thought these pictures might be of interest to rr watch collectors. The books were in my Grandpa's tool box for decades and reflect that in their condition.
They are 1899 editions of the rules foremployees of the C&O and Southern Railway systems.

Cover

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Grandpa worked for the Southern or L&N (I don't know which) in his teens. He was a station agent at a place called Delano in Tennessee. One of the books has his name and the year 1910 in it. He left the railroad fairly soon after that and went to work for one of the lumber companies who were getting started in the southern Appalachians.

posted
Here's the page covering time keeping and watches. Amazing!!! "variation of within 30 seconds a week"--these modern quartz gizmos don't do much better than that!!!! No mention of jewel count, lever setting, etc.

posted
Here's the Southern RR version.

posted
Southern time keeping section.

posted
More Southern information

posted
Last page of Southern information. It appears that hunting cases and key wind watches were acceptable in 1899.