Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

21 Jewels... Is there really any need? "Click" to Login or Register 
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Steve Maddox makes an excellent point about jeweled winding arbors on fusee watches. While they do occasionally crack, or so I am told, this damage probably occurs when mainsprings break. When I played tournament chess, I always found that I learned the most from the games that I lost. I suppose the same is true of arguments.

As for cap jewels, there is no question that they hold more oil and may also impede dust. The question is whether cap jewels beyond the escapement actually produce a measurably better performing watch, given that the greatest frictional losses are in the escapement. Reasonable people may differ on this subject. I suppose I stand with Edward Howard, Webb Ball and the great majority of 19th Century English watchmakers on this question. I myself am no expert in these matters, but the experts, past and present, are divided.

Clint Geller

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I agree that cap jewels beyond the escapement are of highly dubious merit, but it was my understanding that the original topic here was about jeweled pallet and escape wheel pivots, which are part of the escapement. In my opinion, those really do serve a significant functional purpose. (By the way, Clint, it was a distinct pleasure meeting and visiting with you in Charlotte!)

As for the pallet pivots, every watchmaker I've ever known has advocated oiling those in pocket watches. Opinions are divided about the ones in wrist watches, with the majority feeling that the smaller the movement and/or the higher the beat, the better it is to leave them dry (that's what Rolex and many other fine makers recommend).

One thing I will say, is that in addition to its obvious lubricating qualities (both positive and negative), oil is an excellent rust preventative. Somewhere around here, I have a 30 jewel Piaget automatic, whose lower pallet pivot was rusted off. Apparently a little moisture entered the case, and that's where it went; everything else was pristine. Unfortunately, the movement is now missing its case because someone decided to scrap it rather than having it repaired. In that particular example, leaving the pallet pivots dry, eventually resulted in the destruction of a fine timepiece.

================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
I very much enjoyed meeting you too, Steve. True, the title of the thread refers to 21 jewels. I cherish my 21 jewel Howard split plate dearly, but primarily for the novelty and the great finish, not because it performs any better.

Clint Geller

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003