WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

16 Size 19 Jewel Illinois (Hamilton) Grade "707" P/W "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I was going to list this watch on our auction site and thought I would bring it up for discussion before I did.

It is a 16 size 19 jewel Grade 707 Illinois pocket watch. This was one that was put together by the Hamilton Watch Co. after they bought out the Illinois Watch Co. and moved all the inventory to Penn. It has the Hamilton style single sunk "Boxcar" dial in pretty nice condition except for a small hairline that runs from the 38 minute mark over to the seconds sink. Also some marks from the bezel around the outer edge of the dial but not noticeable with the bezel on. It has a very clean and great running 19 jewel movement in it with a very nice straightline demaskeening pattern on it. The case is an Illinois Watch Case Co. "Spartan" that shows very little wear.

Something interesting of this 707 grade and that there were 3,900 of these made beginning in 1919 through 1930. This one came from the last run of 2000 in 1930 which ran to 5302000.

Now this might be confused as a Grade "706" but that grade ended at serial number 5181900. I did not want to make claims as to its rarity if it actually isn't what the book says it is. What do you guys think?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here it is with the bezel off.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the movement. Note that it does not say Illinois Watch Co. but just Illinois Watch. Hamilton dropped the "Co." after they took over production.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the case back.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
and the inside of the case back.....

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Is this a super rare watch? You be the judge. After researching this a little further I found this in the Illinois Bible.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I can't tell from your photo, does it have the polished oval headed plate screws or the gilded oval headed plate screws that the grade 706 has?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tom,

It has the polished oval head plate screws.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Steve

Looking at the information on the 706 vs. the 707, the only difference I could find was those screws. Must be rather rare since Meggers & Ehrhardt never saw one.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve that is a very high class case, and if you are asking if there are buyers, sure. But with your interest in the later Illinois, this should be a standout watch to illustrate the last days. I am somewhat puzzled by the $50 - $70 valuation (about $250 today) for a watch that was reported as never seen. I have the same issue right now on a "Grade 182" HC Getty that may be the only one left!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
That is a nice one David, 1 run of only 500 at the most.

Tom

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tom,

The screws match the discription for the 707 so I am going to say that it is a 707.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I agree with you, I wasn't doubting what you said. Just making an observation that the screws seemed to be the only difference, still seems to be a rare watch.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
Did the grade 707 have friction set balance jewels?
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tony,

Not many to be found to compare this one with except there is a picture of another 707 movement that has the same friction bearing in the balance cock. I would have to conclude that all the Hamilton versions anyway came with a friction bearing in the balance.

Steve

posted
Isn't "friction bearing" kind of a misnomer, like "giant shrimp" and "well-known secret"? I can't tell what it is just by looking at the balance; can someone point it out to me?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Eric,

If you look at the jewel on the balance cock you will notice that there are no screws holding it in place. That's because it is a friction fit or "press fit" if you will and it is being held in place by friction, no screws. Very unusual way of doing it but it may be Hamilton was trying to cut some cost here.

I should have said friction "fit" in my previous post.

Steve

posted
Duh ... shoulda jumped out at me; all the other jewel cups in the train have screws.

Thanks, Steve.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Isn't it unusual that the name "Illinois" doesn't appear on the movement at all?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008