Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Muckle Case watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Hello all. I have a chance to buy a convertable pocket watch. It is an 18 size silver case in reasonable condition that looks like a hunter at first inspection. However you can open it up and revolve the movement 180 deg and the watch becomes an open face. The movement is a fairly basic Elgin with stem wind and set but I have never seen a case like this. Can anyone tell me anything about them and what such a thing (case only) would be worth. I regret I can not add a picture but condition would be clean with no dents and nominal wear to the engine turning.
TIA
Steve

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Stephan,
Sounds like the movement is not an Elgin convertible but the case is a Muckle case. These cases are seldom seen and are expensive. Hard one to call without pictures.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hello Steve:
Congratulations on your Muckle's case. These were made for Rockford movements, but, you almost always see Elgin movements in them today. Check to see what is printed on the inside of the covers of your case. Somewhere it should read "Rockford." Please let us know. The back cover which is on the "revolving" part of the case should have a slot for a case knife. Carefully pry it off and read what is printed there. You should notice a slot in the rim of the back cover, and a "key" on the case middle, "revolving" part to help you position the back cover. Line up the "slot" with the key to snap it on. The back cover on my case reads: E. A. Muckle, Pat'd Apr 3D 1888. These cases are very collectable and rare.
Cheers!
Joel Sarich

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Thanks for the info. Now that I know what it is I was able to do a search on the net and came up with 2 both at Jones and Horan. First has a Rockford and the other was an Aurora. The Rockford went for $850 and if I take back the value of the movement I get a starting point. I shall think it through and put in an offer. If the owner says yes I will be happy to share some pictures with you all. Thanks all.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Hello Joel, I made an offer for the watch and after a day the owner declined. A couple of days later he contacted me with a counter offer.
After sorting out postage costs and the like I have accepted so with luck I will be able to post a couple of pictures soon. Would love to see a picture of your example. Also should I leave the watch with the Elgin movement or would it be better to try to find a Rockford movement to put in it.
TIA
Steve

posted
You will find a variety of movments in Muckle cases. Mine has a Waltham model 77 in it, and it is original.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Hello All,
My Muckle case has arrived and it held a few surprises. The case is in better shape than I thought with little wear on the covers. The bow and the bow sockets (is that the correct term) do show wear from a watch chain. The case is marked A.E.Muckle Pat'd April 3d 1888. the movement turned out to be a Lancaster Ruby no 191026 and this appears to be origional to the case. It ran for about an hour and then stopped. Inside the front cover it has Rockford, Coin, and a nice shield. I will post some pictures when I get it cleaned up.
Steve

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Have got it all back together again. The ring has a pin on the bottom and just slips into the case body and is kept in by the winding stem. Very simple. You do end up with a heavy watch at just under 190 grams. The glass has a few marks and the crown and bow are worn but I decided to keep all the origional bits. After all they have known each other for around 120 years.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Nice clear hallmarks

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
In hunter mode

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
In open face mode

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
In hunter mode the back cover on the brass ring becomes the back of the watch. Only thing not to my liking is the fact that both outside faces are very similar. I like the sides to be different so that the front is obvious. I will only show one side so you get the idea of the patern.

IHC Member 638
posted
Hello Stephan,

This is my first view of a Muckle case. That is VERY NICE!

Thank you for sharing.

Mike Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Just WOW!!!

I've seen them but never this nice, a "height of cool" item. Cool Thanks guys!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
My Muckle case #16755 has a silver center section, rather than brass as Stephan's has. Mine is also marked North Western, and not Rockford. If serial numbers mean anything mine is much earlier, and is the lowest serial number on the list at the ***** message board. Could the switch from silver to brass have something to do with the name change or perhaps a change made over time to cut costs?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
That is one of the coolest watch cases I have ever seen. I would love to have one also.

John

Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
A very nice watch and a SUPER case Steve! Like others, I wish I had one too!

Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Thanks all for your kind words. I must admit that it was a bit of a gamble when I bought it but this time it paid off.
To Jerry thanks for the pointer to the ***** board. I did find the thread but there has been no new posts for some time. I wonder if they ever got that list of numbers published.
I did notice that there was some discussion about the dates. 1883 verses 1888. Perhaps both are correct because mine is definately the latter.
I forgot to add a picture of that area so here is one now.
Steve