Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Strange 16 Size Hampden Garfield Hunter "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I thought the members might enjoy seeing some pictures of a watch that a few years ago a well known seller touted as a "Rare and very valuable Ball-Hampden." This watch was never made for Webb C. Ball. It does however have a very nice Ball Pattern Damascening so I suppose the experienced seller simply made a mistake and assumed it was a Ball. Hah! This is actually one of the scarce Hampden Garfields named for the assassinated President who was from Ohio. The unusual thing about this watch, in addition to it's rarity, is it appears fewer than 200 Garfield watches were produced. In the Hampden Watch Company Book they show the serial numbers known going from 2,573,002 to 2,573,191. All of the known Garfield Models are 3rd Model Movements and are open-faced pendant-set watches. This one however is obviously a 3rd model hunting case Garfield and possibly the only one in existence. These were 16 Size Watches with 21 Jewels and adjusted. On the known Garfields some have a dial that simply says "Garfield" and does not say or indicate Hampden Watch Company. I do not know if these were private label productions but if anybody happens to have a Garfield Dial I would love to talk to you! Does anybody know of other Hampden Garfields, particularly Hunters? By the way it is an excellent timekeeper!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Dial

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Inside Back Cover

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Inside Dust Cover

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Case Front

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Case Back

Deacon

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Nice one .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011

posted
Richard,

The movement does have a nice "circular" pattern and feel to it. I could kind of see how someone might get mixed up on the watch.

The balance cock really gets slender and almost "cuts" into the back plate that goes above the mainspring barrel.

Nice!

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Peter and Jon, The fellow who alluded to the fact that these were made for Webb Ball had to know better but I do like the Ball Damasceening. Hampden did produce the 3 ball 18s damasceening and thanks to Dave Abbe I have a 4 ball John Hancock. I really wonder if there are any other Garfield hunters out there and I assume mine would have had a Garfield dial? One of the fun things about Hampdens is that they are not nearly as expensive as my Illinois watches and yet they are in a number of cases of excellent quality and rare in the true sense of the word. The very nice Manhattan just up for view really makes me appreciate those dollar watches even more. What an interesting hobby!

Deacon