Tools
Reply to Post

Information on early Hampden and pair case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi,
I got this early Hampden I make to be a series 1, KWKS, S18. and that is about all I know of it.
Plate are stamped Lockwood? Serial number 296208 (found stamped on nearly every part)

The case is excellent condition, a early pair case?, stamped Fayes Junior, anybody seen one of these?. Has a hidden key where the crown would be, I took a few pictures while disassembled as it looks like new inside and a dust shield that I have never seen before with plate to cover main barrel.
Any more information on it?
The key fits the movement perfectly, the extra screw mark on case is from a bad alignment when refitting the movement once in the past other marks present to show this.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting watch in beautiful condition.

The pair-case alone is remarkable, I like the hidden key feature.

Your movement is specifically listed on page 123 of the authoritative "Hampden Watch Company" book edited by the late Jim Hernick with Bob Arnold's technical input.

Number 296208 is shown as 18-size, 11-jewel, Hunter, (I believe all Keywinds are considered Hunters) Nickel Plates, First Model, Keywind, and Unadjusted.

I see no other "Lockwood" movements listed. Whether this represents a private label as I suspect it does or something more specific is open to interpritation.

Hope this gets you started.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Chris, I have a Fahys Silverode OF pair case that is stem wind. Mine has pat dates of Apr 5, 1881 and Apr 22, 1884. Mine is marked Fahys, Silverode, No 1.

Also, the in tact hidden key is nice. I have seen many of the hidden keys that are broken--have a side of the keypipe broken out.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Just been looking through the Hampton Watch Co. book, and found on page 34. At the bottom is a model 1 movement a and written across the bottom of the advertisement page is
quote:
"Dealer's name engraved on movement without extra charge."

As this seems to be the only documented record of the "Lockwood", this could well be a one off as many seems to be no doubt as a result of the free engraving offer by the Hampden Co.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Tom,

Is the case all original, Looking at mine it wouldn’t be that hard to convert it to a stem wind, if needed for a newer movement?. Yes I am happy to say that the key as the whole watch has very light use and great condition overall. The inner cover carries a pat and date, but he date is so lightly stamped cannot make it out.

posted
Chris,

Here is a variation on this case.. It is a Fahys, but not a Junior..The inner part is hinged to the outter part at the 3..This case is coin silver with the pictures showing a gold cast ??

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Most of these are plain polished, this one has a bit of coin edging and engine turning.. the key feature also turns up on regular open face cases..

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi John

What is the serial number on your case, mine is 1843, From what I can see that is a Hampden movement also?.
is it a PL, or known movement.

posted
Chris,

# A1637 and it is marked No 1....It is also physically bigger than the Junior..This case holds a Run of the mill Elgin.. I have a number of these case's and various movements.. A Waltham 1877 R. E. Robbins another Elgin and a New York Watch Co..I have seen maybe 50 of these, for the most part the movements have been pretty common..As far as converting to stem wind, very difficult as I have not seen a stem sleeve big enough to fill that hole.... The one with a pendant with setting crown was a factory job..A very similar case marked GEM was also a pair case. Most of these are gold filled.. and they came in 18 and 16 size..this pictured one has a South Bend in it, but it is not original..to the case..

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks John
Interesting to see a few veriants on the same style I assume they must have neem a common case in they day as to carry average movements.

posted
Chris, My case is definitely a stemwind and has not been converted.

John, I have one of the GEM pair cases in 18S. Mine holds a 15J Elgin model 5 c 1916. Always wondered what the GEM stood for. Does anyone know?

Tom

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Tom
It was just a passing thought the conversion, I assumed that these being early, it may have bene converted to stem, already having the thread and easy to open to allow a stem, from yours and John's colection looks like there are a lot of stem wind ones of thid kind, interesting to hear about all these different styles.

posted
Tom,

I have never seen any print on GEM.. They also made a 6 size case.. so I would not be surprized to see a 12 size..