Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 162 vs Hamilton 940 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks

I am seeking opinions on which would be the better purchase, assuming both the Elgin and Hamilton are of similar price and age and both 21j. The Elgin is a pseudo rr grade, whereas the Hamilton is a true rr?

I will be carrying one or other on special occasions not every day.

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
In my mind the answer lies entirely in the answer to the question: "Which one do you like best?"

Since you won't be working on the railroad with the watch, and you'll only use it on special occasions, all that's necessary is that it run, and that you like it.

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
posted
In it's day, the Elgin 162 was the highest grade 16 size Elgin made. The total production was only 4000 pieces. It is also one of the most beautiful watches ever made in the U.S. To quote the ads for the 162: Gold settings, gold train, 21 extra fine red ruby jewels, adjusted to temp and positions- what more could one ask for?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Harvey is correct. Which one do you like best? Also it depends on the condition of the watch. A high grade movement in poor condition may not keep time as well as a medium grade movement in good condition. If a watch is rare or in near mint condition, we do not like to wear them for fear of reducing their value.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Also considering one is a 16s and the other an 18s pocketwatch, how big a watch do you want to carry?

Personally I'm an Elgin man....but I carry my Hamilton 940 quite often.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Both are great watches and like Jerry i too think the grade 162 is a beautiful watch and high quality. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Hi Folks

I ended up buying the Elgin 162. What a beautiful movement.

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
I think I made a convert!

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002