Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

FINE SILVER "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I got a KW KS 18s Hunter watch in a case marked "Fine Silver". What does "Fine silver" mean?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,

fine silver - A silver alloy that contains at least 99.9% pure silver. ( no additional alloys are added to this type of silver )

You could say that this is almost "pure silver".

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Phil! I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take them. I know nothing of this watch, country of origin etc.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Tom & Phil,
If I may add my 2p worth here,
May I suggest that in the 'context of your watch', the term 'Fine Silver' engraved inside the dome could be equivalent to the Uk Assay grading of 'Britannia' silver - .958 (.9584/1000) Or, 'Sterling' silver - .925 (.9250/1000).
It is very unlikely that a .999/1000 grade would have been used on such a watch case.

The most common assay mark I've seen though is .935 silver which is between 'Sterling' and 'Britannia' grade, and very likely to be the actual grade of silver used on your case.

I'll expand further into this when I post a reply to the main topic for the watch itself, as I belive it may be a London made case exported to France, hence the relationship to UK assay grades quoted.

Hope this helps, but would most welcome any input which could give a more accurate explanation.

Best regards
John Woolsey

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006