Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton PW uncommon case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have asked a few people about this Hamilton case and so far it seems to a uncommon example. The case is sold 14K heavy for a 10S at 28g (with thin crystal) as you see beautiful condition, can anyone tell me more about this one, I was told it is similar to a Masterpiece case.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
This was the "Gould," which appears in the catalogs from 1937 through 1940. Note that the catalog states there was a choice of dials.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Chris
I have the same case. This is a rather late case.

The true Hamilton Masterpiece was made in the early 1920s. You will find watches whose dial say Masterpiece even in the 1950s but the quality of
these watches are much inferior to earlier ones.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
In the late 1950s and then up through the 1980s "Masterpiece" had a very different meaning at Hamilton -- it was used on watches sold specifically to corporations as employee incentives or rewards. You'll find the term on all sorts of watches, including gold-filled and rolled gold-plate. It no longer had the quality connotation of the early Masterpiece watches.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Excellent points.

Consider also that when this one was sold new it cost half again more than a comparable 21-Jewel Railroad watch movement in a gold-filled case. I predict that one day our hobby will recognize these smaller pocket watches for what they really represent. Meanwhile, they are bargains!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks for the information on my “Gould” cased Hamilton, This one is inscribed with a presentation for 1940 which pins it down to the movement year and Rene’s information
The watch has been in storage for sometime and hence survived in such nice condition