Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket watch Prince of Wales "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Here is another odd ball, unmarked face, about S12, the case appears to be silver but is stamped 0.935 UK silver mark, but two strange looking Lions and also repeated again smaller still, what I find strange is the inscription “ By Royal Warrant, his three feather crest, then to the Prince of Wales, Curtis & Horspool Leicester”, any idea why that should be in there?, date? Seems a lot of trouble to engrave for a whim.

P1

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I've found the lions to be Swiss silver halmarks, odd 0.935 for swiss, and whats the rest of the story

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Well to answer my own question!, for those who are interested, this is a Swiss watch retailed in England (Leicester) by Curtis & Horspool, Jewelers and Watchmakers of distinction, signed C&H in Leicester. They held a royal warrant to the prince of Wales (Edward or Bertie, the eldest son of Queen Victoria?).it could be interesting, because Curtis and Horspool watch is one of the best English 'plain' watches. This watch is completely imported from Switzerland, it may have been engraved later. I think Longines is the manufacturer

posted
If anyone watches BBC or PBS and the Brit comedy "Keeping Up Appearances", Hyacinth made a big too do about her neighbors seeing the Royal Warrant advert on the side of a furniture deilvery van. So, there is still some snob appeal.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
You will also find "By appointment etc" on the side of the cigarette packets!!, the Queen liked a quick puff on a fag now and then, only in private off course so they say. But that was when everyone smoked.