Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Cadillac Award Watch Help! "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Greetings!, I never post on the Pocket Watch Discussion Board. I don't buy, sell, or collect Pocket watches. I don't even have a strong interest in Pocket watches. Recently, however, I had the chance to buy this Hamilton ( I adore Hamilton wrist watches), and now that I own this one, I thought I'd ask my friends of the IHC to please educate me. I bought this watch because I liked it. Please, roll up your sleves, look at this watch, be critical, and if you would be so kind...tell me what you think. I know nothing, except that it isn't a wrist watch. All the Best

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

first picture

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
second photo

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Bill, I'll begin and am sure I'll leave more than a few blanks for others to fill...a Grade 902 Hamilton 'Gentlemen's' 12s made sometime in '38, I believe, w/a very curious and unnatural repair? at the crown wheel center (perhaps to hold the crown wheel screw, which either broke or was stripped, in place)...otherwise, a beautiful 'piece wrapped in a fine solid gold 'jacket'...nice!...thanks!...
am sure the crown wheel can be put right...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Nice watch Bill, I bet that residue around the crown wheel is just dirty oil used to make it wind easier. You could clean that off easily with a piece or Rodico. That 902 was a very fine watch and that one looks to be in fine condition.

Aaron
Casual junk collector Wink

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Bill,
A fine watch, but be careful, those Hamilton pocket watches can be just as addictive as the wrist versions. Smile
I agree with Aaron, the dried grease around the crown wheel should come right off with a little rubbing of Rodico, but, if the grease looks dried out, it could be a sign that the rest of the movement's lubrication has 'gone away'. A cleaning might be in order.
The hands also appear to be matching original Hamilton factory hands.
You might also want to write or email Cadillac to see if they can give you any additional information about who Mr. Micek was or about their awards program in those days.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Great watch and spectacular dial! Your case is the "Rittenhouse" case (Hamilton named each case style during this era). This is one of my favorite styles. I have a grade 904 in the same case.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
That is what my wife Elizabeth was saying when I was on the phone talking with the fellow who sold the watch to me. Elizabeth is a psychiatrist, which means that to some degree, she is always working?!

At the risk of displaying the fact that I don't have a clue, which is the "crown wheel"?

Am I correct to think that this was made within a few years of 1938?

I will take the suggestion and have this watch cleaned.

Do you suspect this dial is original?

I am very enamored with the idea of learning more about Mr. Micek. It is the personal connection that we all share with each other, and the connection of each successive owner to each timepiece which I find so extraordinary.

Thank you all so very much for your thoughts.

Now, if you will excuse me, Elizabeth is saying something about "medication time".....

....let's hope it's PO Big Grin, rather than PR Red Face

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

posted
William,

I would say that the whole package is original and very nice.

Watch it buddy, These 12s Hamiltons are very cool and super high grade.
Predictions.....?
I say he ends up with a Masterpiece or a 922 soon. Big Grin

BTW The crown wheel is the smaller of the two winding wheels. Right under the crown.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Hamilton offered many attractive styles over the years. For a further look into the temptation of Hamilton 12-size watches re-visit our photo gallery for this thread -
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=5656047761&m=6746050013

[By the way, I never thought about the location of the "crown" wheel being below the stem and crown. I have always believed it was called this because the spur teeth on the underside make it look a little like a crown.]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,

I have used both reasons for it being a crown wheel. But for those who arnt going to take it off your reason can be a little hard to understand.

You Sir, are correct.

Who said that?

Aaron

Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Indeed,
I have a soft spot for Hamiltons for personal reasons. That is a nice watch. It is also a great present for ten years of service.

The watch should be able to be serviced very easily from the pictures.

Viele Grüße

David Fahrenholz
Fahrenholz Clock & Watch
Timeless Service

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003