Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ferguson Dial Prices "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Sold as a group for $1601 U.S. Feb. 20th. at auction in Nazareth PA.

We will probably see them on eBay soon.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Back

IHC Member 1725
posted
To me looking at the pictures, I would say someone got a great deal! It would be nice to see these come up on IHC185.

I always heard back in their time these dials were not that popular...correct me if I am wrong. It's funny how time changes peoples way of looking at things, because in my honest opinion there is nothing cooler looking Cool than a watch that has a Ferguson dial.

Love these dials!!
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
As these dials were not "factory" applied/made dials, I think they have always been at the pinnacle as far as a Swiss made dial goes. They were sold as an "aftermarket" accessory and today they bring 1/2 of what they did 4-5 years ago.

At the price this grouping brought for 2 Hamilton 4 foot dials, an Illinois, 18sz Hampden, and an 18sz Elgin, I think they brought top dollar IMHO. At $320 each, that is the going price today individually, but as a group to one buyer I believe as I said a premium was paid and more than I would have offered for the group. I would want to be in them as a group at $200-225 each or about $1150 total for the 5, unless of course I was going to apply them immediately to appropriate movements that a Ferguson dial might enhance for a quick turnaround Wink

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1541
posted
Yes Tim, they were not as popular as I am sure Ferguson had hoped, in part because of Webb C. Ball's dislike for them.

Their rarity, as a result is probably why they were at one time bringing a good price, however as Buster said, they don't bring what they did 4-5 years ago.

I agree Buster, if these were bought for re-sale the buyer is in tough on getting his money back.

posted
Nice dials , What else do they have for sale , or was it an auction

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1541
posted
They are from a finished auction.

IHC Member 1725
posted
To me I would have liked to had a chance at these. I would think there might be a bigger picture. Five nice Ferguson dials at one time and place should bring a premium and did for the market time, but...

the market is not going to lag forever, these type dials are still very desirable. How often do you see five Ferguson dials for sale at one time? Its almost a luxury.

Just my 2 cents worth
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Several years ago a number of slightly flawed Ferguson dials surfaced at one time suddenly appearing to flood the market. Those dials which had been rejected many years ago had a depressing effect on values when they re-appeared. Their sudden availability and oddly low prices confused many less knowledgeable collectors.

And we should also consider that the auction dials in question would have likely brought far more if sold individually than as a group. Selling items as a group rather than individually nearly always makes them appear easier to find which then further depresses their overall value.

Finally, if you are considering adding a Ferguson equipped example to your watch collection remember that Ferguson Dials were advertised as originally coming with Ferguson Hands.

(See Buster's watch above and Lindell's below this post to understand how the minutes hand relates only to the minutes and likewise the hour hand relates only to the hours making the time shown below unmistakably eighteen minutes before four.)

You can easily see why that means any watch with a Ferguson Dial but lacking the Ferguson Hands is both non-original and also incomplete. Many of us consider the value of such a watch in fractional terms.

Not unlike a Ball Brotherhood wherein the lack of matching dial and movement means you only have half the watch.

Below, complete Ferguson has matching dial and hands…

Posts: 5237 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
That's a great point, Deb. I'd be inclined to agree with Tim otherwise, but just how available are these Ferguson Hands? Can't believe they're easy to find.

Mike

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 2098
posted
Beautiful examples

Posts: 24 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2015
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks. Debbie said it all. The hands are scarcer than the dials and a dial alone without the hands is but 1/2 a watch no matter the movement.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009