• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This weeks "Save from the Scrapper" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Last weekend I posted a nice Rockford I had bought for a little over scrap value and brought back to life. This week, I had another "scrapper save". I bought this Elgin off the Bay for a mere $25 plus $4 shipping. Hard to beieve because I think it would scrap for $40-50 right now. This was the only picture on the listing:

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
I was able to put this one back together and put in healthy order. It was terribly dirty from probably not being cleaned for 50 years. I also put in a new crystal, hands, staff, and lower staff jewel. So I do have some parts cost to getting this one back. Here is the front view after getting her cleaned up and going.

posted
Here is the back of the case. As you can see it is heavily worn, but not worn thru. still a good little case.

posted
Here is a side view of the case showing the coin edging. Still in good shape too. This case has a couple high spots worn thru such as the stem, but still very presentable.

posted
And last, but not least, the movement. This 18 size Elgin turned out to be more than expected. Inside was a nice B.W. Raymond. It is a very fitting watch for the case. It also looks to be original as I could not see any other sets of marks. Not a bad day for $29 Bucks and a few parts. I haven't found my next "scrapper save" yet, but be on the lookout for more posts in the future.

Jared

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared Great save! That BWR Grade 77 is a valuable Railroad adjusted Pendant set according to Ehrhardt, and I would agree.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Nice Save, the price you got it for is low. Usually anything with BW Raymond is a little higher.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
The person that put this on did not describe the movement nor any markings. Again, just the picture above and a description of the watch as an elgin. I could tell it was a 18 size from the picture, but that was it. I was pleasantly surprised with the movement being a BW Raymond. It is marked in big letters across the cock arm with "adjusted" and is pendant set as David pointed out.