Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

First Pocket Watch-Hamilton 950 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello All,
Just purchased this Hamilton 950, size 16 in Model 2 case with script Montgomery Dial. Pocket watch database says "To Finishing Dept." in August of 1922. Has Plexi crystal, assuming replacement. Not really sure if dial or case is original to the movement?
Thanks in Advance!
Link to Pics

[Movement number: 1652160]

Posts: 2 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2020
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Beautiful first Hamilton!

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Gerry: Welcome to ihc185. That is a very nice "starter " watch Gerry. From what I can see it looks pretty "right" to me. Possibly someone with more expertease than I will set us straight. A lot of collectors aspire to someday having a 950, not many of us started a collection with one. Well done!. John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice watch. Note the regulator is moved toward fast. This is usually (not always) an indication that the watch was losing time and someone adjusted the regulator to compensate. If you are not certain when it was last serviced it is best to not run it too much until it has been serviced (commonly referred to as COA, clean, oil & adjust).

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Movement dates to 1924-25, case from 1929-30. This information is available on this site in Hamilton section. 23 jewel movements were slow sellers, so case and movement are age appropriate. The script dials were replaced around 1919-20 so Hamilton in block letters would be factory correct. A jeweler could change a dial to suit a customer at any time. If it were my watch I would look for a block letter Hamilton dial.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004