Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A bad day with my 4992B-Update "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sunday I decided to carry my 4992B. When I started winding the watch, after two turns, the crown stopped engaging the stem, and would neither wind or slip backwards. Hummm. I suspect the threads are stripped either on the new crown that Rich Kuhn put on, or on the stem.

Ok, I know how to check! I pull out my two watchmaker screw drivers, remove the bezel and back, and go to remove the case screws so I can pull the movement, then address the stem. The bottom case screw comes out with a little effort, but no biggie. The TOP screw was another matter! Not sure what was going on there, but it was like the screw was jack hammered into the plate. In retrospect, I'm sure it was fouled due to the bottom screw being removed first...but that's just a theory...

I try to turn the screw, but it just doesn't budge. Ok, I take the watch firmly in hand, make sure I have a good 'bite' with my screw driver into the screw, and turn. The driver tip immediately slips upward, gouging a scratch from the screw head across the case, then buries itself into the palm of my hand. While this is going on, I see the crown of the watch go bouncing across the kitchen table and off the edge.
At least I did NOT drop the watch.

So, as I sit there thinking pleasant thoughts, blood now dripping from my hand, I replace the bottom case screw, replace the back and bezel, pick up the crown from the floor, and put the watch BACK into my watch box, then go and tend to my now throbbing hand. A least the crown bouncing off confirmed the threads on the stem were indeed stripped from years of use. The crown threads looked ok, but after this fiasco, I didn't look that closely.

Bottom line....NEVER work with tools not right for the job....and until I get better with removing case screws, leave watch work to the experts.
Roll Eyes
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Yikes!!! Eek

Gee Mark, this is a very sad situation on several levels. My bet is the stem simply loosened in the movement, easily corrected by a simple adjustment. However it can suddenly be compounded if attempted improperly.

Let's be clear on this... due to the fact it employs a detent system you cannot remove the 4992B movement from the case until you first remove the stem and crown as an assembly. I hesitate to explain the proper method, because it is tricky and if not done exactly right further disassembly of the movement would then be required.

"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do anything" ...comes to mind.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I really wish your last line had registered in my head before I got the bright idea on Sunday, as that's what I DO practice when working on my 1950 Plymouth.

Not sure why that brain cell didn't fire that morning, but the lesson was quickly re-learned........the HARD way. Frown

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark..... it was really a very GOOD day for you. You did NOT uncase the watch and.... you probably did not break it either.

The 4992B is very tricky. Once uncased, it cannot be set down until it is partially disassembled. The sweep-second hand means that on both the front and back, there are opposite pivots that are very fine and breakable. It is also one of the most scarce and expensive replacement parts (along with the 4th wheel).

I had done dozens of 992's and 992B's before I attempted a 4992B. Our shop also has a hand-puller specific to the 4992B's sweep-second. I'm not saying that it is absolutely necessary but it can save a person from damage and grief.

Lindell is right not to encourage casual disassembly of this watch. But.... sooner or later, everyone figures out that there is a screw that releases a "prawl" (is this the right term?)that fits into the stem detent. If you release that screw too much, you will be required to almost entirely disassemble the watch to reset it. I would guess that, for someone who has not done it before, the odds are virtually 100% that you will make this error the first time (I did). Even disassembled, resetting this assembly is quite challenging

Larry Crutsinger has been bailing out watchmakers on the 4992B's for years. When he (and his replacement parts) are no longer available, these watches are going to be difficult to maintain.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I'm hoping the same thing, Peter. I'm hoping more wasn't going on in my hand holding the movement as I was trying to unsuccessfully dodge the end of the screwdrive (with NO success).

Needless to say, I've been kicking my tail end since Sunday morning.
Mad
Regards! Mark

posted
Ahhhh, you might try reading the instructions first. You guys posted it. See https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/7131089302

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Who reads instructions? Roll Eyes Wink

Seriously, it was one of those 'inspired moments' that made me do it. There was no plan involved, as if there HAD been a plan, believe me, I would have been asking a LOT of questions before doing the dumb. (we need a smilie beating it's head against a wall.)

Regards! Mark

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Here you go Mark...

Posts: 5245 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Perfect!!!

Yep...that's me!!! Big Grin Wink

HIGH regards! Mark

posted
Mark,
I have an 1 1/4 inch scar on my thumb from a case opening disaster two years ago; still no feeling above the knuckle. Watch repair isn't for sissies! That scar crossed my 20 year old 3 1/2" x-acto whittling accident scar on the same thumb.I'm right handed and tend to fillet my left hand often. Be careful Razz !
-Cort
p.s.-I used to deal woodworking machinery but I tend to stick with handtools these days.No pun intended.

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Wow, Cort! I was luckier than I thought, as my situation only sent the screwdriver into my palm. I guess there's a silver lining in there somewhere. I'm still bummed at my lack of foresight. Roll Eyes

Ah well....onward and upward.

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
A phone call from Rich Kuhn put my mind at ease. I did NOT cause any unseen damage to the innards of my 4992B, and he was able to replace the crown and stem. The only thing that DID apparently occur was one hand was slightly bent, but he was able to fix that easily.

Let my mistake be a lesson to you all....never prod around in areas where you shouldn't, ESPECIALLY before doing serious research, or at least posting a question here for our experts to either answer, or direct you where to find your research material.

I was EXTREMELY lucky, and am counting my blessings. Thanks Rich!

HIGH regards! Mark

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I love happy endings!

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I'm glad for you Mark and I agree with what you say, except.....

Don't let this experience discourage you from "poking around" inside watches. In my opinion,that's exactly what you SHOULD be doing.

I don't think that a 4992B, with it's fragile and expensive pivots and pinons is exactly the right watch but, please don't limit your curiosity. Get a cheaper, simpler watch that runs.... break it and then try to fix it! Wink

And.... believe it or not, most of my early errors were NOT fatal! Big Grin

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Oh, don't worry, Peter. It hasn't 'scared' me from LOOKING under the hood at all. I do that all the time with my old '50 Plymouth. It has just taught me not to go pounding around with a hammer to figure out something before doing the right research and asking the right questions.

HIGH regards, and thanks! Smile