Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help in an old Waltham with low serial number "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

Could one help me to identify this Waltham movement?
I never see another like this one.

Tks,

Paulo

Posts: 48 | Location: Near Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: January 06, 2010
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Paulo,

That plate design is from a Philadelphia Watch Co watch, the database does not show this correctly, as it states the serial number as a 18s P.S. Bartlett. This definately looks like a watch made by Waltham for the Philadelphia Watch Company as it also displays the "E. Paulus" patent design, although not marked as such. The designation of "American Watch Co" on the movement tells me that it is a hi-grade watch. A very nice example and one that I have never seen before and probably not many other people either. If you are ever interested in selling this let me know? Also, can you tell me what diameter it is, as the plate design tells me it should be a 6-8s size, it will be very hard to case I think? Someone else much more learned than I might be able to shed more light on the origins.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Hi Bila,

Thanks by information. This movement is size 18 HC and is not working, the balance staff is broken. I am other doubt, the dial is signed Waltham too. This movement is from an guy that want to sell me, the problem is that in Brazil is very hard to find an good watchmaker to fix it.

Best Regards,

Paulo

IHC Member 1555
posted
Even better as a 18s Paulo, will be a just a little easier to case. Good watch repairers are hard to find anywhere, there are a few on this forum who are good with any watch. Depending on whats needed for this one you might have to have the parts manufactured by someone as a one off, as I think parts will be a little hard to source. If you are interested in selling it or know the person who is interested in selling it, as I said before, let me know, as I would be interested in obtaining it, my email is wirriganwalters@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Paulo if I had known I would have dropped you a call when I was in Sao Paulo (last two weeks) and just got back last Sat morning. I thought about checking to see what Sao Paulo had but I am sure the people I was with would not know much about pocket watches. Had a nice visit to Santos during the weekend. On getting it repaired there are several names that are on this site that I could suggest, Brazilian customs are always a treat to deal with but with a something like a pocket watch I would not think that would be too much of an issue dealing with.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Waltham 1859 in a highly modified state is as close as I see to this. But then this is stem wind. Incredible regulator setup, much like the Swiss double adjustable deal.

Is the dial attached with side inserted dial screws or "Swiss" style from the underside of the dial plate?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi friends,

Bila I will send you a email.

Claude In Brasil there are a few pocket watch collectors. the vast majority are collectors of cases and dials, they don't look the movements. The only major collector and clockmaker that I know is Amilcar Guimarães that lived about 90km from me, but due health problems he retired. Moreover he had stolen much of the collection a few years.

David I don't nothing about this movement, only the size. In dial there are two strange things. First is the "é" in American and the other is "Mess".

Best Regards,

Paulo

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Paulo ,the "mess" is Mass, short for Massachusetts Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009