Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My latest Columbus Private Label Key Wind "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I just found this early 18s Columbus Key Wind private label watch in a local antique store. It needs a case and a Balance Staff. Can anyone help?

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the movement

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Another of the movement:

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Another close-up of the movement:

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ernie, From the appearance of a lever set near Roman Numeral II and the appearance of winding apparatus under the left side motor barrel cover screw, I think that is a very interesting* Lever-set Transitional that deserves a nice long neck Stem winding 18s Open Face Gold Filled Case.
*Interesting because the stem winding mechanics are the reverse of most FP 18s Stem winders, so what "looks" like a "Hunter" is an Open face Movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thank you David. I have not been able to determine how to set the hands after you pull the lever out. If it is a stem set, there appears to be a missing part at 12 o'clock where the stem would fit. Here is a photo of the space on the edge at 12:00.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a second photo of the stem set area.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ernie, The picture shows the edges of the main winding wheel under the dial and a retainer screw that I think is supposed to hold in a short pinion with a square socket or a square short male extension that is connected to the case mounted winding stem. Maybe Brian C has that part.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thanks David. I thought it looked like something should be in that hole.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ernie, I received the watch today, will report after inspection. . . . GOTIT! Add 1 Waltham 1888 Pendant w&S winding gear and set pin and this WORKS!!! A little dremel work, and a washer and then it is to cleaning and staffing. Smile