WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please help me identify this Hampden "The Minute Man" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
One of the best things about the internet is that you can quickly find an expert in any subject of interest. Google led me to you guys for just that purpose. So thanks for being here!

My name is Craig, and I recently came into ownership of a Hampden "The Minute Man" watch from a deceased relative.

I did some light searching on Google and eBay, but didn't find any that quite matched what I have. What I'm mostly looking for is information about it's history and manufacturing info, but also a possible value (though I don't plan to sell unless it'll help put my kids through college).

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Posts: 4 | Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
Our Experts will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse on this watch I'm sure.
In the meantime welcome to "the 185".
A nice looking watch but judging by the regulator setting it could do with a COA ( clean, oil, adjust ) before running regularly.

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
You have a very nice 12 Size Hampden "Minute Man". The movment is cased correctly in a Deuber 14K White Gold Case. (Deuber Case company owned Hampden Watch Co. at that time.)

It was in the middle of a 3,000 piece run of this movement from s/n 3670001 to s/n 3670300 produced around 1925 at the height of the "Roaring Tewnties".

The watch collector's price guide shows this as $85-$150 or so which is probably what you could expect to get for it on eBay.

Given the supremely good condition of the Dial, Hands and case, a dedicated 12 size collector could go as high as $250.00

The microregulator being adjusted to one end shows the watch is due for service. Properly serviced, you would not be disappointed with using it personally.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you both for the information. The watch still runs fine, but would it be recommended that I take it to a jeweler to have the "COA" done?

Seeing as how even the high end wouldn't take a big bite out of a vacation, let alone college education, I think it will stay as a very nice family Heirloom.

Posts: 4 | Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
There are Folks at this site that are qualified to do such of clean oil and adjust. The problem with taking a watch to a jeweler is that most of them are not watchmakers. In other words they send the watch out for the service then double the cost for there inconvenience. The small cost to ship this watches is relatively low compared to the cost of the Quality service that one can expect from a professional that is recognized on this site.

Where do you live. There might be someone close to your area.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
I'm near Scranton, PA. the Northeast corner of PA, near the Poconos.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Craig....I would like to echo what others have said to you in this topic and welcome you to IHC185 where you so aptly put it....The Experts Hang Out....

Location really is not as important as it once was when looking for someone to do a quality job for you, however, we do have qualified service people in all areas of the country....

Here is a link to our site that has a few of our service people and their qualifications that you may find interesting....

Go here IHC185 Service Directory....

If you know someone that you trust that is a Watchmaker/Jeweler they can probably help you out, but as Eugene stated, not all local jewelers and handle things like this....If anything more than replacing a battery is required, they generally send it out....

Let us know if we can be of any additional help to you, and be sure to come back to see us....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks for the heads up Jerry. I sent a few emails to people on that page. hopefully someone responds.