Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E. Howard & Co, Boston Pictures "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi all
I have no intention to compete with any of the above watches, but here is my Howard.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
posted
Another movement shot

IHC Life Member
posted
Case back

IHC Life Member
posted
Dust cover. Lovely dedication. Does any one know of this "PEW"? What kind of shop could it have been?
Regards Krister

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Krister

I will do some more searching this evening but I found a James A. Albro who was a shop machinist in East Providence RI in the early 1900's who went onto be the foreman. I wonder if PEW might have been their union P?E? Workers

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Haven't found anything to say the guy in RI is yours but I did find where there was an electrical wire company called Providence Electrical Wire Supply so perhaps PEW was Providence Electrical Wire? So perhaps the James A. Albro I found was a machinest/foreman there. It looks like he died sometime prior to 1923.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom
I appreciate every effort you make. It´s always nice to know something of the history of a watch. Or any old thing for that matter. Without it, it´s just another heap of junk, no matter how nice.
So this could very well have been his retirement gift?
Thanks again
Krister

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
My first E. Howard & Co. Boston movement--48443. I have been collecting watches for the past 15 years and this is my first Howard movement. What say you/////

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
That hunter, Series IV, Howard looks very nice. Does it work? Did it come with a dial? I wonder what is with the baby gold balance screw - is it matched on the opposite side? A person has to love those smokestack gold jewel settings! Howard collectors are sophisticated people. Cool

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Thanks so much Howard & Mary Ann . . . that's what I call real class.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
My second E. Howard & Co. Boston movement. On my wish list for 2012 I will be looking for an all original-hands,dial,case, and movement E. Howard & Co. Boston watch.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Harold: Did the series IV N size movements come with a dust ring?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Mike,
Will post pics of the dials fronting the movements. Maybe Harold or another Howard expert can tell us about the baby gold balance screws. Movements are currently not working. Any info regarding these early Howards will be appreciated.
Tony

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Hello Jerry, yes the SER IV should have a dust ring.
Tony, The smaller balance weight screws are not correct, my guess it was used to balance out a replacemaent hairspring, but that's just a stab in the dark guess.....
Here's a very unique damaskeening pattern E. Howard you folks might like.....

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Harold,
All I can say is AWESOME.
Tony

posted
This is my Howard. It was given to me by my father and belonged to his grandfather. Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
posted
Dial

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I really don't collect Howards, but I have 3 Howards and 4 Keystone-Howards. My most recent acquisition is one of my nicest Keystone-Howards, a circa 1905 Waltham bridge movement model in a 14k Howard-signed case.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the movement.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Harold,
Did the early Howard's have a lot of movement patterns/////
Tony

IHC Member 1411
posted
Here is my E.Howard Series III recently repaired and serviced by Chris Abell. The case is not original to the movement, I got the case with a series IV movement in it. Case is marked H18 sn# 8733

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Member 1411
posted
The Movement sn# 8461

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Member 1411
posted
The Curvette

IHC Member 1411
posted
The Outer Case