Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin "The Railroader" Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
This is a dial I do not remember seeing before but in the book it doesnt seem scarce. Anyone else have any of these.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I had one, and I remember seeing another on here.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
I have seen them before, also is this a pressed center dial? Elgin was notorious for making a two part dial look like a 3 part dial (double sunk) some of these were ground center types where the other portion of the dial had the typical shine but the inner portion was a bit duller and later you will see a pressed center where it is a two part dial but looks to be a double sunk but the gloss/shine is the same at the inner or outer part of the dial.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
How about a serial number?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I do not think the movement is correct for this dial as it is just an ordinary 17 jewel. I will post pics in a bit.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Pop the dial if it is a two part it is correct, if it is a 3 part then unless it is a higher quality 17j then it is probably not correct. On the pseudo double sunk dial Elgin did put them on mid-segment type 17j movement both in 16 or 18s. With the dial off if you see a solder line for the seconds sunk and a solder line for the inner sunk then someone boo-boo'd by putting it on.

IHC Life Member
posted
Claude I really do not feel it is a tru double sunk the edge is not sharp but rather slanted like other dials made to look like a double sunk. The serial number on the movement is 33804872

posted
Robert then it is probably correct for the movement, elgin would put the true DS dial on 17j movements like the 280, 341,370 etc but for lesser 17j movements they would put the ground or later the pressed center dial on those movements. It still is a nice looking dial.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is Grade 387 which fits Rob's observation about the movment. With 357,000 made, it is certainly not "alone".

The dial though is another story . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The one I had was on a BWR either 19 or 21 jewel.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Well I was wondering if I should seperate the dial and sell it seperate if it wasnt for this movement but it sounds like it might be right so I will list it as is. Thanks for help

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I had one in REALLY bad shape years ago facing a model 270 3 finger bridge Elgin. It was exactly like the dial you have, Rob.

(Correction....mine was a 19j model 455 too. Sorry. I looked at the wrong entry. Frown)

At the time I showed it, most everyone thought it was a fake, until several more showed up just like it.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Here is one of those "The Railroader" models. The dial is on a 19jewel BWR which is the correct movement for this watch, It is a grade 455 movement.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
And here is the movement; serial number can be read.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
THis watch will be listed tomorrow if anyone is interested