Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An Elgin 19J Rigid Bow 16s RR Keeper "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is no secret that I restore many watches to help support things while awaiting the slow shifting sands of Due Process to decide the restoration of my future. It may surprise a few that I "hoard" a few nice watches that scream loudly "KEEP ME" while I am restoring them. This is one of those. It took a lot, New Balance Staff, Main Spring, White's Crystal, total re-calibration, NOS Crown, full service + + +. It stays here (for now at least).

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Elgin records show this s/n 17215800 as a 1912 Vintage Grade 372. One of some 35,700 made from 1909-1917 that Elgin completed with all the Knowledge, Skill and Care deserved by the best of the best. The 19 Jewel movement is a "Gem" in itself! Not a part wasted to deliver the best RR performance possible at the best cost to the every day Railroad person. Evidently in it's second case with a Rigid bow acquired some time about 10 years later, this watch is another piece of history that shows how deep US-Made quality reached when we really meant what we said and endeavored to keep those promises to the BEST of our abilities! . . . and YES, ths one still holds about 1 sec/day.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That is a gorgous watch, David!

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1508
posted
VERY nice! I love that case! Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Very,Very nice!!

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Rigid bow cases always attract me...don't you usually see Hamiltons in this case...? Or is it just similar to the Hamilton version?

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
IHC Member 1411
posted
I just saw this watch at Dave's shop today. The photos don't do this piece Justice.

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
No Gary, this is an Elgin case first made around 1927....

Look on page 194 of the price guide, lower right hand corner....

Great looking watch Dave and you are 100% correct as to it's importance to the RR folks....Thank you for showing the watch to us....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I don't believe this is an Elgin case, it is a Fahys R.R. model that I have seen in yellow gold filled, I have an Illinois Bunn Special in a white gold filled one like this, and have observed other makes in these cases.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Opps, It is not an Elgin case....don't know who made this one, maybe Dave can tell us by showing the inside rear cover....

Here's one that I have that is an Elgin case....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

posted
The Elgin Dave is showing should is a grade 372, the Fahys case shows up being listed in one catalog around 1930 and Dave's is a dead ringer for style #19 at a cost of $40.00 so these were not cheap cases.

The 372 was not typically "cased and timed" although you could purchase an Elgin Veritas marked case for it if you wanted. The 372 probably outlived its first case and got a new one about 20 years later which would sound about right for a recase of a RR grade movement if it had been used daily.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice watch Dave, that dial goes well with the rigid case!Those 19J BW Raymonds have to be one of the finest railroads ever made.I think someone could have an awful nice collection by rounding up one each of every size, jewel count and model of B.W.Raymond , that would be a lot of watches...Regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008