• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's it worth ?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Before I reveal what I paid... I am curious what you think it's worth...

Posts: 90 | Location: South Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2013
posted
the hands show good blue...
I don't see any hairline cracks in the dial..
the unit winds and sets easily and it seems to run strong...

I'm curious what you would pay and what you think it might be worth....

thanks..
Lou

posted
case back...

IHC Member 1693
posted
Well Lou, I really love these Waltham Model 1883
18s watches. I carried one every day for many years. But, sadly they don't seem to sell as high as I think they should. Value ? I don't know !
But I'm sure they are UNDER Valued in today's market. It's a Great watch that will run for perhaps another century with proper care.... I like it !!

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Unadjusted Waltham 15-jewel, most likely an 820, without looking it up I'd say $50.00 -- 100.00

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice old watch, and a real nice case, but with so many of them around I'd say the case is worth more than the movement.

I like it.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Hi Lou,
Unfortunately I have to agree with what Jack has stated, but to me the value of a watch is how you feel about it, if you like it, it's worth what you would pay for it. I think that is a nice watch and it seems to be in great condition.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
thank you everyone for the feedback...
I appreciate it...
On the way home today.. I had to drop a box off at FedEx... right next door is a pawn shop... I don't make a habit of buying anything from a pawn shops and I'm not really sure what compelled me to go in and "look around" ... well there in the case was this little beauty begging me to pick it up.....
I called a sales girl over so I could get a better look.. I saw the tag on the back was marked 175.00 ... high I thought as I'm not real familiar with Waltham models ... but I thought it IS a size 18 , 15 jewels ... runs good.. clean ...
The girl asked if I was interested... I told her I was... and had cash in my pocket...
She went to the back to talk to her manager... came back and told me 90.00 ...
I asked to pay 90.00 out the door... she agreed...
I think for 90.00.. it's a decent little machine... I may have paid retail (or even a little more) for it in the long run.. but for 90.00 bucks.. I couldn't pass it up...

Wink

posted
I think you made a FINE purchase Lou! No ifs or buts about it.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
If the case back is not brassed out. It is $100 - $130. not included the movement.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
not bad buy in my book.
Case $100, movement $50 if not more

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Lou, I think you did ok at $90, nice watch.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
thanks guys...

the case cleaned up real nice... no brassing...
the dial and crystal are perfect....movement seems to run strong...
I think I did good too... it makes a perfect addition to my little family of Seths...

Wink

posted
Sometimes if it tickles your fancy and the price is right, go for it. Some of these 7-15 jewel watches get highly overlooked even when they are in good to excellent cases.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009