• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Grandfather's Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello to everyone. I am very new to this hobby just a couple of days. What started me out was my grandfathers watch which I have been carrying for about 10 years(it keeps perfect time), a friend told me to lock it up because of its value. It is value to me is priceless because it belonged to my grandfather. My grandfather worked for L&N railroad and was a member of the Brotherhood of the Locomotive, Engineers and Trainmen. Now for the watch it appears from markings to be a Ball Official RR Standard Cleveland model 999B. The markings and numbers I find on the watch are Location-(BACK) Ball Official RR Standard, Keystone watch case, J.Boss, 10K Gold filled, 9785378. Location-(GUTS) 6 Position adjusted, Ball watch Co., Cleveland, Ohio, 999B, 21 Jewels, Trademark Official Standard, 1B8135. Location(Housing under crystal ring) 5378. The hands of the watch are blue and one of the hour hand looks like a spade. On the back of the watch case the is a design that I was told was marking or insignia for the BLET. I have tried to include pictures of the watch. What my goal is, is to beable to link my grandfathers watch from factory to L&N or BLET and maybe find copies of one of the yearly calibations his watch went through. This would be so great to for my children to pass it to. I forgot to mention I view the case back were the 9785378 numer is, under a microscope and there are dates and initials scribed on it. Any help/information anyone could give me would be great. I thank you in advance.
-Charles

Posts: 3 | Location: Leonard, Texas USA | Registered: August 22, 2006
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hello Charles:
Welcome to Chapter 185! Your watch appears to be a Hamilton - Ball 999B made in 1947 according to the serial number list found under the Ball Watch Company research forum here on the Chapter 185 website. All the numbers on the case indicate that the case is all original and all parts, bezel, back and middle belong to each other. To find out more about the BLET, you may email Larry Buchan at larrybuchan@lincsat.com. He is an authority on the RR Brotherhoods. He may be able to help you out. Tell him that Joel Sarich sent you!
Cheers!
Joel Sarich

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
posted
Thank you Joel I will get in touch with him.
-Charles

Posts: 3 | Location: Leonard, Texas USA | Registered: August 22, 2006