Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any Pocket Watch Carrying Railroaders? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
I am a locomotive engineer for Union Pacific Railroad, at Dallas, TX. There are hundreds of U.P. employees in the D/FW area, and I am the only one I know of, who carries a genuine vintage RR pocket watch! There is a tiny handful who occasionally carry a quartz PW, but since railroads no longer require a "real " railroad watch, young railroaders don't have the watch carrying tradition that older people like myself have. Heck some of them don't carry a watch at all, and rely on their cell phone or pager. I began my career in the 1970's, and at that time we still had to have a Railroad Approved watch, a watch card and periodic watch inspections. I started out with an Accutron 218, then went to a quartz Accutron, then went to a real watch --- a 25 jewel Ball automatic wristwatch. About 10 years ago I bought my first RR/PW, a Hamilton 992B, and at that time, I decided I would carry a pocket watch for the rest of my career, and I have. I have since collected a total of 23 RR/PW's, of many makes and models, dated from 1889 to 1950. I have carried most of them at one time or other. I have just started carrying an 1889 Hampden, and am curious how it will perform. I just had it cleaned. I imagine some collectors will be horrified that one would carry these old beauties to work, but I really get a kick out of using my watches for their intended purpose. Any other PW carrying railroaders out there?

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Interesting thread Donald I am glad to hear there is at least one engineer who still carries a good old fashion RR pocket Watch. I always wondered why I never ran into someone who works for the railroad who collects or has a few RR watches. Now I can say I met someone who does. You do not know a Lowell Jones in Dallas do you?

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
No Robert, I don't know Lowell Jones. One thing I did have to start doing was to wear overalls, to have a good place to carry my watch. However, wearing overalls is not unusual. They are almost a uniform for railroad men in my part of the country. Men of all ages wear them. They do look good with a nice chain and tasteful fob. Two fobs I have been using lately are a Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen fob, and a Knights Templar fob.

D. E. Jones

posted
Donald,

My father will have worked as a railroad conductor for 42 years come July 12th. He and I have had several good chats about his rail road approved watch days and how it went by the way side, but then again so have several of the rail roads. Dad started on the old Erie line and then was taken in by the Conrail merger. He now works for Norfolk and Southern and doesn't really like it as much as the "old days". I bought him a rail road pocket watch about 15 yrs ago and he has been wearing it with his coveralls and blue and white striped Conductor hat ever since. I guess that is one of the reasons I took up this hobby. Considering that he has been rail roading nearly ten yrs longer then I have been alive I can't help but find a since of amazment in it all. So let me congradulate you on 30 plus years of riding the rails, this country wouldn't be what it is without your hard work and dedication in what I know to be a very dangerous and stressful place.

John

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Donald,

What made you change from a 992B to a Hampden? What type of Hampden are you now carrying? Just curious

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Bruce,
Actually, I carried the 992B earlier this week. As I said in my earlier post, I will carry any watch in my collection. I haven't had the Hampden long, and since it has just been serviced, I thought it would be fun to take it out for a spin. I don't know if it has a model number, but it is an 18sz, 17 jewel, lever set, in a gold ,swing out case. It was made in 1889. I will probably carry it for a few days, then go to something else.

D. E. Jones

posted
Bruce,
That was my first attempt to add a picture to a post. Now that I know how, I can do a better job next time. That is a Knights Templar fob.

D. E. Jones

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I have a number of clients who are full time railroaders and carry their watches on a regular basis. Railroads include the Illinois Central and the Delaware & Hudson. I'm sure there are others, but I cannot remember which ones.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Donald, Very nice job on your first picture post. That is also a very handsome Hampden, chain and fob.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Donald, great thread and really good job on the picture posting. Not an easy thing to do the first time around. Please continue to post regularly. Tell us some RR stories. Phil. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Phil,
I might just do that. It seems like the best stories are of the funny things that happen in life. There is one thing for sure, that although railroading is deadly serious, something funny always seems to be happening!

D. E. Jones