Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"A Very Busy Watchmaker in 1931" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
A watchmaker at work inspecting Railroad watches.

I suppose inspecting 250 watches a month keeps these watchmakers very busy.

The 30 watches, on the right side (foreground) of image, all appear to be the long stem cases, which were phased out in the mid-20's.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Hi Robert, Great pic. The 30 watches on the right also appear to be 18S, which were being phased out by 1931. Maybe these were used for loaners.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom. How many watchmakers do you suppose were required, to inspect, repair, adjust, 250 watches per month?

Rober

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Neat post Robert...

I talked to my Grandfather on Thanksgiving about this thread. He was a young Watch Inspector in the late 30's for the Milwaukee RR in Coon Rapids, IA before he was married.

I asked him how he got the job, and he said no one else wanted to do it. He said he might get up to 10 watches to inspect in a day. Some days 5 some days none. 200-300 per month was typical, so this picture is fairly representative in my opinion.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
posted
John,
Very interesting story. It's really good to talk to someone, especially your grandfather, who can share with you first hand information about RR watch inspection.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Robert

posted
Robert,
what a great picture this is, and what a great piece of history. Smile

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Dave,
Thanks, I wonder if this building at 123 North 18th Street, St. Louis, is still standing?

I don't suppose there were any 161A, 163A, or 992E hanging on the wall since they were only introduced 1 month earlier (Sept. 1931)! Wink

Robert

posted
Below is a "Watch Repair Price List" from 1935 which doesn't include cost of parts.

This is an excerpt from a well known watch parts house catalog.

This should give you some idea about the wages of a watchmaker in 1935.

Robert