• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

balance wheel help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can I get a little help please,I bought a new Balance wheel for a Hamilton 920 Pocket Watch,23 jewel with a new hairspring,and How hard is it to assemble,The Hairspring looks so hard to do.Very difficult to see what exactly hold on this hairsping, I took a picture of the old balance wheel with hairspring for reference
Thank You

Americo Rizzuti

hamilton 920

Posts: 46 | Location: Connecticut in the USA | Registered: January 09, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Americo, I would reccomend NOT trying to do it if you have not done it before. There are so many variables that you have to look out for, and you can ruin the new hairspring in an instant. Frown

Even if you don't hurt it there are things that you need to do to it that I doubt if you even have the tooles for.

Chris Abell would be the person to go to to do it for you.

For some reason I cannot pull up the URL for his site today.

Just go to abellwatchmakers@ncty.com and you can see what he does and get in touch with him.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I see your problem Larry:

It's abellwatchmakers@nctv.com.

You substituted a 'y' in the place of the 'v' in your address.

His website is also at http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6013713/m/7771058762

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
There will be either a clamp with 2 screws or a single screw that holds the hairspring stud ,after you lossen the screws the stud should drop out..Most of the time there will be more involed than just dropping in the new balance ,go slow so as not too mess up your new balance. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree with Samie.

A steady hand and follow his instructions it should "drop-in easily" for you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Mark.

For some reason though the URL dos not work all the time for me. Some times it works just fine, then other times it will not work at all. I cannot copy and past to it.

I think it's just with my computer, or more likely my inabillity to use one!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Sorry about that Americo, I thought that you were trying to install the new hairspring on to the Balance wheel, and not the balance bridge.

Bad advise.

Regards,
Larry

posted
SmileThanks Guys

Americo Rizzuti

Posts: 46 | Location: Connecticut in the USA | Registered: January 09, 2010