Tools
Reply to Post

Here's one of the all-time greats... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Up for grabs!

Here's (Serial# 666231) one of the all-time great RR Grade Watches.

That 24th-Jewel in the solid-gold elipse is just so cool.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
WOW what a beautiful movement!

Too much for my pocket money, but I sure would buy it if I could.

It's just SSSSOOOOO clean!

Nice watch.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Lindell,
The barrel arbor jewel is in a gold setting, but I believe that the surrounding ellipse is chrome plate, rather than gold.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Would anyone know if there was a technical point to these distinct settings or was it just decoritive....??

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hi John -

Maybe some of our more technically-minded members can back me up here, but I think the 24th jewel had very little mechanical utility and that the eleptical setting was just for show.

Still a great looking watch though, and one I have always liked!

Fred

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Fred, I'm in agreement on both counts. The ellipse serves no practical purpose, it just looks nice. A jewel on the arbor of a going barrel (such as the Rockford) comes into play ONLY when the watch is being wound, and served no purpose when the watch is running. I suppose it could prevent the upper barrel hole from becoming "egg shaped" but that would be about it. These barrel jewels are often referred to as "cosmetic" jewels, although the jewels in a motor barrel ARE functional while the watch is running.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Like Fred and Ed report, I too have often been told that jewelled barrels, the only real difference for example between many 21 and 23-Jewel Movements are of little real consequence. However, one need only to look at the big difference in current value to fly in the face of logic. Simply stated, to many of us, spectacular, dare I say OUTRAGEOUS designs like the Rockford 900 are what add a lot of fun and excitement to pocket watch collecting. Obviously, and fortunately for most of us, back when these were new there were buyers who put extra value on such features.

Just like a lot of us do today. Wink

Rockford 900 (Movement 542548) a personal favorite...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

This 24-Hour Dial is no slouch either, my pulse pounds...