Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1888 Elgin grade 101 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings all.
I haven’t pestered you for a while, but I’m pretty happy with my latest find and just have a few questions I hope you can educate me on. We stopped in a small antique store in Newport, KY over the weekend and this just called to me. I love the case. Which leads me to my first question. Would you consider this case to be hand engraved or are these done en-masse? I’m assuming it’s machine engraved, but I’ve always wondered how you can tell the difference.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Here's the back.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Now, the big question. This is a BWCCo case with the wheat sheaf. Am I correct that this is 14K on the outside with 8K on the inside? I don’t know all of the makers marks or what they mean, so I was really surprised when I read that this could be solid.

posted
On to the dial. Everything looks really good except that second hand. Can I assume correctly that it was broken off at some time? I’m guessing that will need to be replaced.

posted
And finally the movement. I don’t think that there is anything too amazing here, but that’s why I ask.

posted
Once again, many thanks for any thoughts and info that you can provide!

posted
What a beauty Ed , I am not near my books to help with the case .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Ed,
I don't know about the engraving, but here's some info on the case and movement --

Brooklyn Watch Case Co.

Brooklyn Gold Case Grades:

14K: - - - - 14K solid gold.

Wheat: -Double Stock - 14K outer layer, 8K inner layer. Discontinued in 1893.

Granger: - Double Stock - 14K outer layer, 8K inner layer. Possibly introduced in 1889.

Eagle: -8K solid gold. Discontinued in mid-to-late 1890s.

Very nice case...Nice find!

Elgin Serial Number: 2854821
Grade: 101
Model: 1
Class: 52
Estimated Production Year: 1888
Run Quantity: 1,000
Grade/Model Run: 6 of 36
Total Production: 54,000
Size: 6s
Jewels: 11j
Movement Configuration: Hunting
Movement Finish: Nickel
Movement Setting: Lever
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Barrel: Going
Train: Quick
Regulator: Plain
Adjusted: No
Railroad Grade: No

Hope this helps.
Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
It does, thanks Steven. The funny thing about this watch, after I first looked at it, I actually left her shop. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend $65.00 on a little Elgin. It just kept nagging at me all night and we went back the next morning and thankfully it was still there! It just goes to show that even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while!

posted
This may be a dumb question, but this is my first actual gold watch case. Do I need to take any special care of it? I assume that it's OK to send it off and have the watch given a nice COA, but is there anything I should watch out for? I probably won't use it all that often, but maybe I'll wear it for a special occasion or two. Of course, since it is a little smaller, I could make my wife really happy and give it to her! Aw, who am I trying to kid...that isn't going to happen.