Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fancy dial questions "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
I recently purchased an 18s Fancy dial. The face is unmarked and unfortunately has a chip at the top (where the dial post is). I bought it because it had three dial feet which led me to believe it was for an American movement. The back is marked "18S" and "Wopf" which refers to size and artist`s name I presume. It is also marked "P. & B.". Don`t know what this stands for?
The dial feet positions are; 2- 21.5- 39. (maybe 39.5 since post is slightly bent). According to my reference this would fit an 18s Illinois model 4-6.
My questions are; Is this an original unmarked Illinois dial or an "after-market " one? What does "P. & B." refer to? (dial company?)
Any info or comments are appreciated.

Smile

Fancy dial

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi Kenny,
I don't know a thing about fancy dials, but yours sure is a nice dial, ding and all. I just got my first fancy dial, real small, but I like it. I think they're kinda special, and nice to own when you enjoy them a lot.

Wish I could help with the identity, good luck.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Hi Kenny, I would guess that this is an after market. I have several unmarked fancy dials, and they appear to be done other than factory.

Tom

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Sheila and Tom,
Thanks for the comments!

I think it is a rather attractive dial, even with the ding, and the markings on the back make it even more interesting, whatever they mean???

Smile Smile Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Kenny, It would make perfect sense that there would have been a market for fancy after market dials. If you build it, and at a slightly lower price, they will come, although I have never seen any literature on advertising such dials, other than the O'Hara Dial company. Has anyone seen advertising from another source?

Tom

posted
For what's it worth, I have an E. Howard case marked P. &. B. Co., which stands for Palmer & Bachelder Co. They were supposedly a big wholesale house in Baltimore(? not sure I remember this correctly) and had a huge fire in their establishment in the late 1880s. It stands to reason that they handled more than just E. Howard watches. (This communication came from Dana Blackwell).

I think that they have been mentioned in the article on Howard cases on the Chapter 174 board.

Hans

Posts: 21 | Location: Seattle, Washington USA | Registered: January 05, 2004
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Hans,
Thanks for the information! Will see what I can find on "Palmer & Bachelder Co."
Both the markings "P. &B." (which is stamped) and the handwritten "18S" and "Wopf" and another number on the edge that I can`t make out seem to be under the glaze (or fired on).
Thanks again!

Funny how an almost insignificant item peaks your curiosity! Happens to me all the time!

Smile

Kenny