Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early Howard (Keystone) Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have been told that the early Howards (keystone) where fitted with Swiss made dials as the new company was not geared up to produce there own dials, these being marked Switzerland, & “H” on the rear of dial embedded into the porcelain.
Can anyone shed any light on this?, I know very little about Howards.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Hi Chris,

Based on what I know of their surviving early watches, I think it is true that Keystone Howard began putting out watches before their dial department came on line, and so these early Keystones did have Swiss dials. For that matter, some of the last E. Howard & Co. watches appear to have been put out with Swiss dials as well, as that company's dial department may have shut down earlier than other parts of the factory.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Clint,

Thank you very much for your response. Whilst cleaning the watch I took these pictures below. The “Switzerland H” is part of the dial and proudly displayed, which would help confirm your comments above, I find this to be very interesting that a Swiss made dial is the correct dial, which is somewhat of a turn-around to normal expectations. Did this happen on any other American pocket watches?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I also believe the hand to be original?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Great case, Howard with plain back.
Do I have a 100% correct watch, case, hands, movement and dial?.

posted
Chris,

I believe that Seth Thomas also used, at times, Swiss dials as original..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi John,

I never realized that there was any cases of Swiss parts being used on American watches as original items, up to now would have just dismissed them as replacement items. You never stop learning in this game.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have also seen many Waltham and Illinois dress watches with original Swiss silver dials.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The "fancy" porcelain-enamel dials on South-Bend watches are predominately Swiss, as are the silver dials used on their 12-size watches. They also imported their jewels from Switzerland and as I recall they even advertised that fact.

Todays approach to using components from around the world is really not so new.

Good looking example Chris! The hands look right, that second hand is especially difficult to find, and yours is correct to my eye. Check the image below. Wink

Three RR Keystone-Howards up front and personal...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 660

posted
During the early years, say 1860 - 1880, American factories imported all sorts of specialty parts: springs, jewels, hands, steel, balances. By the 1880's most components could be made internally or obtained from domestic suppliers. After the crash of the 1890's, American watch companies were in such poor health that some would probably obtain material from the most economical source.

Mike

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
All,
It is a great pleasure to see that my friend and research colleague Mike Harrold has joined us on the 185 discussion site. At the risk of embarrasing him, I should like to point out to any newer NAWCC members who may not be aware of it, that Mike is almost certainly the most prolific contributor of his generation to the horological literature on American watchmaking. His monograph: "American Watchmaking, A Technical History," which is NAWCC Supplement #14, was a big influence on me when I began collecting, and it remains today the single best general reference on the subject. Great to see you, Mike!

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003