• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin grade 349 marked adj 5 positions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I collect different brands of pocketwatches buy mostly Elgin and Hampden. I have quite a few full plate 21 jewel Elgins like the 149, 150, 266, 277 252, 348, and 181 but I did not have a grade 349 so I decided to pick one up. I picked this one up because it has the "after-thought" engraving "adj 5 Positons" which I have on one of my grade 348's and a 370. I cleaned it up and put a new crystal on it and even though the case has some wear though on the pending from winding it presents itself well. Next nice surprise this watch is keeping RR time within 2 secs/day currently.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Very nice looking 349 Claude!The Montgomery dial really makes it.Elgin did I think one of the most beautiful lettering jobs in all of watchmaking on them there 349's.That elaborate gold Old English really stands out...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The 1908 production date for that may have caused the additional "adjusted 5 Positions" thing because the rules had just been revised to require watchmakers to actually specify the number of positions adjusted, etc. on the movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Dial adds to the "Elgin'ness" of this watch. It was advertised in Elgin catalogs as a "Numeric" dial, and was not actually a "Montgomery". Lacking the "6" hour numeral in the seconds register saved 25 cents a dial for the Montgomery Patent royalty fee.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Yes you saw more some of the other brands skirt around the patent by not having the 6. At this time in production the 349 was Elgins workhorse 18s model costing less than comparable 21/19j 3/4 plate 18s models.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Very nice Claude. Smile

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010