Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Latest Find~ Hamilton 992 Two~Tone "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
This is one of my latest "buys". I thought the Hamilton folks would appreciate it Smile
Fairly scarce and in nice condition, 992L Two~Tone movement,ser# 354301 Big Grin

If you are interested in becoming a member, you may
join IHC185
for only a yearly fee of $12.00[thats $1.00 per month]. It will give you access to 12 other topics that are only seen by becoming a member. That includes FREE Auctions to buy & sell!! We have private discussions where we will debate a watch, if you like, and its good/bad/& ugly sides! We have many many talents on this site who are members who will help you in all of your collecting, buying&selling, identifying, & repair on your particular watchs[s].

Very few questions will go without an answer. Most importantly it is always in a family friendly orientated atmosphere. It will pay huge dividends and save you big $$$$'s in your future additions.
Regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Nice! Do you have a better image of it? What case are you planning on putting it in?

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks Chris,
I first scanned this on my HP at 1200 and the picture had great detail but, it was WAY TOO BIG! I finally had to settle for 300 where it would fit BUT I lost a lot of detail Eek
I now have downloaded and resized the picture with PicasaBig Grin There is lots for me to learn, now I just need a good Nikon digital camera Big Grin
Regards,
bb

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Good deal. I'm interested in seeing more detailed images for sure. If you need help with manipulating images, just let me know. I've been making my living doing graphic work for nearly 20 years now, so I can do this stuff in my sleep.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That image is a great start Buster!

What you have is one I have not seen before. You have found a very unusual variant, it will be interesting to see if anyone else has one like it.

Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

And thanks for urging those who are "just looking" to join us for only $12.00 a year...

CLICK FOR: Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Buster, you got a nice one there!As Lindell said, that one is different.I've only seen pictures of 992L 2-tones, but never one like yours.Check out the straight-line damaskeening under the balance, really cool effect.What does it have for a dial?....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks Gang Smile
I've changed the picture about 4 times now as I experiment with the new Picasa program, think for now I will leave it alone Wink
The case it was in was totally period wrong as was the metal 4 foot dial Eek But I will have it back to normal soon and maybe figure out how to use the Picasa system, which is very good, its just the operator Big Grin
Regards,
bb

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Is it damaskeened under there or is that compression artifacts from resizing the image?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Chris,
I think most of whats seen down under the balance is because it was "scanned" and it was also running Smile
This tends to cause a blur or lines + picking up flashes of colors. It appears to be standard machined metal under the balance that all the 992's had in that era Smile
I'm really interested in seeing other 992's that are Two~Tone out there. This particular damaskeened TT pattern is not at all like the few other 992's I have seen, this one is more like what you would expect to see on the Hamilton 18size watches Eek

regards,
bb

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Buster that,s a beauty i like the 2-tones and yours looks too be a nice one. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Ooooooh...
Ahhhhhh...
Nice
Cool

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks Gang Smile
Heres about the "closest" same pattern I've been able to find BUT it's in an 18 size Hamilton.
So far no one else has come forward with another 16 size either like or similar to the one I've stumbled across Wink
Regards,
bb

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

None of the legitimate two-tone movements are common.

I have never seen another 16-size like Buster's example but I too agree it looks more like the 18-size pattern than the "checkerboard" design we usually associate with a two-tone 16-size movement. Usually the term "Special" goes with along with a Hamilton two-tone movement regardless of markings.

Below 473008 an 18-size 940 "Special" two-tone...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Lindell, That is a really sharp looking 940!I see the"special" marking, but no grade number on that one.Did Hamilton do their 2-tones by gold plating over the nickel, or were the plates gilt with nickel overlayed to get the 2 colors? My 18S Hampden Special Railways look like nickel over brass, the edges of the balance cock and barrel plate look to be gilt....And Buster, please pardon my ignorance over what I thought was damaskeened lines under your balance wheel, that's what it looks like at first glance....Ted.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks for all the great comments on the watch. I am really glad to have come across this one.
Ted, no apoligy is due as it was clearly my equipment problem that caused the look to the picture Eek
As you know I need to case and dial the watch as what was with it was not correct Wink
As to the watch, we know it was produced in 1905 from the Gelson List.... I will be looking for a really nice long stem case and a 4 foot DSD Hamilton Watch Co. dial. I have a Dueber case but its a medium height stem case that probably would be better on a 1912-1920 era watch.
Regards,
bb

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Buster, I'm sure the more expert members would have more valuable advice than mine, but I think the Arabic dial would be more right for a 992.Since they are 4-foot, then they should be about the right age for the watch.The Dueber case , since it has a short pendant, may be a little too new for it, but that's a nice looking case!Good luck with it, Ted.