WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

staff for 22Jewel Elgin Grade 581 Royal Navy Deck watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
S. LaRose is unable to provide a balance staff for this watch. The hub was too small on the staff they sent. The Movt. No. is 41754653 (circa 1942). It was issued by the British Navy as a deck watch in WWII. Any help locating a staff or balance would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Posts: 1988 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Greg,

I believe that's a grade 581. My Elgin material catalog doesn't have info on that grade. Can you provide the following measurements of the old staff (in mm's) so we can figure out what part number it is? I might even have one:

Total length: (add approx .30 mm for each broken pivot)

Balance seat:

Hairspring seat:

Roller seat:

Hub thickness:

Pivot size:

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Balance seat = 1.310
Hairspring seat = .750
Roller seat = 1.115
Safety roller seat = .620
Hub thickness = 1.800
Pivot size = .120 (estimated, pivots & jewels broken)

Thanks in advance for checking.

Greg

Posts: 1988 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Greg...like JD, my research traced the movement to a '42 grade 581...and also like JD (I do so wish to be like JD Smile)my references failed to disclose a part/cat number...however, I have quite an inventory of Elgin staffs (some from PWs of CDN navy vets who saw service in WW2) and I'll check them against the specs you provided...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Greg,

I believe you measured the width of the hub instead of the thickness. The thickness should have been approx .65 mm. If you measure the overall length of your broken staff (both pivots missing), it should be approx 5.90 to 6.00. The complete overall length of a new staff is approx 6.50 mm.

I believe you need a 1901 staff which is designed for the two piece double roller. It would fit an 18s, 3/4 plate movement. Could you explain further what you meant by the hub being too small on the other replacement staff?

Drop me an email with your address and I will get you a pivot 12, 1901 staff out to you. You can thank Santa!

Jim C., thanks for the nice gesture and kind comment! Also, if you find a 1901 staff, please hold on to it in case the one I have doesn't fit. Wink

John D. Duvall

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you John and Jim, contributors like you make this a great cite.

BTW, I did some research in Whitney's book on U.S. Military Watches and Clocks. Marvin Whitney noted the British contract and stated this is the same grade mvt. used by the U.S. Military during WWII in their "GCT" aircraft navigation watch. The difference is the dial, the U.S. Military had this movement fitted with a 24 hour dial and motion work while my Royal Navy example has a more conventional 12 hour dial. The U.S. Military specs quoted by Whitney do not appear to be the same as as this watch, but then, the British bought their Elgin's prior to the U.S. Govt. contract.

In further answer to your questions,the hub is .49 thick. The overall length is about 6.350. This is a 16 size watch.

Thanks again,
Greg Crockett

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...sorry to report, that none among my inventory of Elgin staffs have a roller seat that big...Frown...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Try Fin Time in fl. 1-800-237-2358 they have located some hard to find parts for me.

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC 128623
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you Rich, However,they said "no" right away, as though the question had been asked several times before. If no other luck, I could make one from scratch or modify another staff to fit.

Best regards,
Greg

IHC Life Member
posted
Greg,

From the dimensions you provided, the staff I sent out Monday should be pretty close except for the hub thickness. Let us know how it all works out for you.

Good luck!

John D. Duvall

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you John,

The staff arrived yesterday and I checked it last night. Although too long, I can turn it down to fit, which will take much less time than making the entire staff from scratch. Many thanks for your invaluable assistance.

Best regards,
Greg