WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    The '57 Chevy of pocket watches: Waltham's 18s model 1892 Crescent Street
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The '57 Chevy of pocket watches: Waltham's 18s model 1892 Crescent Street "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Waltham's 18s model 1892 21J Crescent Street grade.

The watch pictured is the lever-set, Railroad-grade model that cost me a lousy $213, a pretty low price in my opinion. It should have sold for more. After all, what's not to like about this fine timepiece?

18s Crescent Streets typically feature a classic double-sunk dial with fancy and distinctive Fleur de Lis hands, a gold-filled case, and a beautiful nickel damaskened movement.

It just isn't easy finding one in good and original condition. I know because I've been looking for one for a while.
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Here's the movement with gold jewel settings, gold balance screws, and gold star regulator.

From page 85 of Marion, A History of the United States Watch Company regarding their competition:

(By 1871), "The American Watch Co. (Waltham) had recently introduced an extremely successful 14 size model, and a new 18 size, the "Crescent Street," developed by the company's prestigious Nashua Division."

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 1016
posted
They are nice, and, the TuTone is the Bel Aire of the bunch.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
I like them a lot as well.... I have admired them for years. But, because I only buy private labels
I've never had one. I know that severely limits
me in many ways . But, like the 57 Chevy I still
can admire them without ownership.
In 57 my Dad bought a brand new Bel-aire Convertible all white with red interior.
I'd like to have that today !

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 1016
posted
quote:
I'd like to have that today !

So would everyone else!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1736
posted
I love these Fleur de Lis hands on the early 92's

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
For $213.00 you bought the case and got the movement, hands and dial for FREE!!!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007