UNIQUE CASE "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Johnson
posted
This case is just too cool!

Nothing odd at first glance.

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Case is signed "C.W.C.Co. - Warranted 14K". Looks fine so far right?

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The edge of the case, not bad either.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
O.K. Here we go.

Check out the movement. Here is the first clue that something is unusual here.

Hampden, 15 jewel, series IV, 16 SIZE!

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Most 16 size gold hunters will measure roughly 50mm (2") wide, 13-14mm thick. A well made solid gold case, with movement will weigh around 3.9 - 4.0 ounces (115 grams).

The case housing this 16 size movement measures 54mm (2 1/8")wide, 17mm (5/8") thick and weighs in at 5 ounces (142 grams) overall. If I showed you just the case in hand, you would swear it was an 18 size watch.

It has a dust cover and inner bezel/crystal over the movement. The center ring or frame is 7mm thick and was made that way. No spacers or the like where used to fit the movement which is NOT original to the case. It has an unbelievable heft to it. Just about the heaviest 16 size case I have ever seen.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
That is a remarkable case. Do you have any idea what make movement was original to it? Also, is the case mark "BWCCO" rather than "CWCCo"? I know that Brooklyn made nice gold cases, but I have yet to see a solid gold Crescent case (unless this is one).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Jerry,

My mistake, it IS a Brooklyn case. The Case reads "B.W.C.Co.".

When I removed the inner bezel to have a look for extra screw marks, I noticed there is a raised ring present for the bezel to seat on. Two cut outs are present where the original case screws sat. I will try to post a picture this evening. Also, I suspect the original movement wasn't lever set. The lever slot in this case looks to have been added later.

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I once owned a series V Howard in a similar case. The case without the movement weighed over 4 oz. and it was a bit larger than most large 18S cases. I think these were "bragging" pieces.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Jerry,

Here is the case with the inner bezel removed. You will note the cut outs for the original movement case screws. I would love to know what it originally housed.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Doesn't it look like the lever notch was made post production?

BTW, I just pulled the movement and the case weighs 3.1 ounces (89 grams)

posted
David also remember that there is an inner, steel spring ring that pushes the front lid open and can weigh a significant amount sometimes as much as 30 grams as it goes most all the way around the inside of the frame of the case, the crown and stem are not gold and remember the crystal. Additionally for information , there are 31.1 grams to an ounce.

Not that one would ever consider scrapping a beautiful case such as this or even attaching a value to it based on weight (except a pawn shop) there may turn out to be only around 50 grams of pure 14K gold. Still a hefty sum and a heavy case and with 14kt gold at 8.25 per gram in today's "scrap" market you can tell that you have a valuable case either way you figure it.

Also no, the lever cutout is not the workmanship of an experienced jeweler or especially a factory effort, but wow! what a nice case!....just my opinion "weighing" in. Happy "great case" Hunting!

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Actually, I think the Hampden looks great in that beautiful case, with gold lettering and screws complimenting the gold case. Also, I've not seen a dial with those wonderful scrolled numbers before. Is that a common one, or something special?

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
quote:
. Additionally for information , there are 31.1 grams to an ounce.

Is weight for gold or gold alloy computed differently than other things? I ask because it has always been my understanding that there are 28 grams in an ounce, and 454 grams in a pound. Or do precious metals all use troy measurements.

Just curious.

Oh, btw, just to bring this back on topic that is one beautiful watch!

Regards,

Tref

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
It all depends...

1 oz av = 28.3495231 gram
1 oz troy = 31.1034768 gram

Troy is used exclusively for gold, I think.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom. Kinda thought that might be the case, though it was something I hadn't thought of before when seeing the weights of cases given on eBay auctions. I also had no idea that a spring for the back cover of a hunter case could weight so much. I learn new things every day here it seems.

Regards,

Tref

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Some springs have heavy lead weight added to them to increase the weight of the case. Most have an iron piece to make them fit snugly in the case. A typical set of case springs weighs about 5 dwt (1/4 Troy ounce).

posted
quote:
Some springs have heavy lead weight added to them to increase the weight of the case. ...

Tom is there a valid reason for doing this other than what my cynical mind might conceive of?

Regards,

Tref

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
From a practical standpoint, probably to keep the watch from bouncing out of one's pocket, since most of these hunter cased watches were carried in vest coats. I know that's a problem I occasionally experience when carrying a lighter weight watch in one of MY vests....no such problem with a good old heavy hunter, though. Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I did say my thoughts might be cynical right? Frown

I like your idea better Mark!

Regards,

Tref

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
It's the same reason a woman wears lip rouge. It is not to deceive, only to improve. A heavier watch "feels" better.