Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Santa Fe Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

Just picked this nice Santa Fe Special 16 size watch up and would like more information. To start the serial number #2887404. Tha dial is double sunk and a full montgomery marked Santa Fe Special with an arched Illinois above the seconds bit. The case is a The Santa Fe Watch Co 25 year case. The movement is tu-tone. I will try to post some pictures later today.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Dial

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Keith

Can wait to see the watch, I like tose Illinois Santa Fe watches, I had one but sold it & now wish I hadn't.

The Illinois book shows your number to be in this run;
2887001-2887500 LEVER SET 21 JEWEL MODEL 9 GRADE 806

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith
You were posting the photos as I typed, that sure is a nice looking one, like the dial & that two tone movement, I don't recall seeing that teo tone Santa Fe before.

Didn't get that on Ebay did you? I don't recall seeing it.

Tom

IHC Member 48
posted
Hi Tom

I did not get this one from Ebay it was at our local mart today.

Thanks

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith

Sorry about that, looked yours up but then typed the wrong run, I corrected my eariler post.

Being triple signed adds to the value. I am jealous.

Tom

IHC Member 48
posted
Hi

From the serial number can you determind the date of production? Is this from the first run of Santa Fe Specials?

Why does this example shown above not have the same markings as others that I viewed? Look close! Where it is marked 21 jewel, most others have Illinois Watch Co. Springfield. Mine also has the Safety Pinion and the Temperature And Postions is different. Any up to the challange to explain.

Thanks

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith
I will look in the book when I get home tonight. It is marked 21 jewels above the crown wheel. Some Illinois' watches are not marked Illinois, they are marked by their name such as Santa Fe, but I will double check tonight.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith

The serial number would place this at 1916. I will see what I can find about your other question.

Everybody else, if I am off on any of this please correct me.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith
Apparently the Santa Fe Special was made from 1913-1931 & was made in 16, 12 & 6/0. Meggar's also states that all Santa Fe Specials were sold orginally cased in Santa Fe Watch Co. marked cases & had dials marked Santa Fe Special Illinois.

States that "production numbers are based on the assumption that all movements in a run for which Santa Fe marked movements has been reported are similarly marked. Therfore the production probably is less but not enough to affect value."

Here are the runs I can find before yours & up to yours.

2682401-2682500 Os, 17J, Pendant set, model 1 grade37 Santa Fe Watch Co.

2736201-2736500 16, P, Open face, 17J, Model 7 Grade 306 SFWCo.

2741701-2741900 16, P, Hunter, 17J, Model 6 grade 306 SFWCo.

2741901-2742100 16, L, Hunter, 21J, model 8, grade 806 SFWCo.

2885501-2886000 16s,L, O, 21, 9, 806 SFWCo.

2887001-2887500 16, L, O, 21,9, 806 SFWCo.

Keith it goes on from there but I didn't know if you wanted more after yours.

It is my understand & all your other guys correct me if I am wrong, but Illinois was one of the biggest makers of private label watches & also making watches without their name on them, I am sure you have seen the Burlington Watch Co. watches, those are all Illinois they just marked them Burlington, it is my understanding that the same applies to the Santa Fe Watch Co., they were made by Illinois & have that on the dial but they are marked the SFWCo.

If I can find anything else let me know. As I Said I have always like the Santa Fe watches, I am sure it's because I was bron & raised about 40 miles south of Santa Fe & I had an older sister that her actual name was Santa Fe but that is a whole nother story (all I will say is I have always wished my parents would have named me Albquerque Brown)

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a scamn of the Santa Fe movements from Meggar's. I don't see an 806.

SFWCo

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It looks like the movement #9 is also not marked Illinois.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a model 9 806 from American Pocket Watches Ehrhardt & Meggers

SFWCo2

IHC Member 48
posted
Hi Tom

Thanks you for taking the time to look-up this information.

So the watch is an early version of the 16s 21j open face Santa Fe Special. Do they show a total production number for the model 806? Last question I promise.

Thanks

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith

If that is in the book I don't know how to find it other than go through every run & total up all the 806's you can find. If I get time I will see how hard that is to do.

Tom

posted
Nice Santa fe special I think you get better deals at local marts most of the watches I have gotten lately were at local marts.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Keith, I did a little "grunt work" and found that;

1. A total of 37,290 Grade 806 watches were made, mostly private label, including Washington Watch Co.

2. There were a total of 21,600 Grade 806 S.F. Specials made in 26 runs from s/n 2655701 - 4524000.

3. Your watch was in the 4th run (500 pc's) of grade 806 S.F.Spec. and was also within the first 1,000 total made by that time.

The finish work on yours is extraordinary with the 2-tone plates and it looks like it has had a good life so far. I post my 2-signed (case/mvt.) so you can see what I mean.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Keith,

Very nice Santa Fe!!! I especially like the Montgomery dial and the two-tone movement.

It brought back memories of the first watch I ever bought. It was right here at IHC185 from Lindell a little while after I joined.

21-JEWEL SANTA-FE SPECIAL 2-TONE

I bought it since my Grandfather worked on the Santa Fe.

Thanks for sharing your treasure. Smile

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That's interesting the watch from Lindell was in the eigth run, and mine is from the 10th run, so the 2-tone plate treatment must have been changed out to the Gold plated hardware in the ninth run, or in the run of my watch.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007