Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New to all this...but enjoying it "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A not so quick hello from the UK.

I like to tinker, and as such I suppose the restoration side appeals more than than the aesthetics to me. As I am working to a budget I make no apologies for operating at the cheap end of the market, in fact if people keep concentrating on high end and rare items eventually low end items will become rare as more and more end up in the trash.

Anyway on the 5th May I acquired my 1st Pocket Watch, a nice looking 14s Waltham Bond St. 1904 Model (dates to 1907) in a fair to good Dennison 'Star' case. It was described as won't wind, balance moves when jiggled. I opened the case and discovered the Balance was loose (staff damaged) and after removing it (it was not fastened to the cock) I also discovered the roller table was absent from the assembly. I found the watch wouldn't wind up simply because it was fully wound...

I was now aware of my first beginners mistake, choosing a 14s to start working with as there seem to be less spare parts available and far fewer of these available as donors (e.g. compared to the 16s Traveler). Then on the 8th June I managed to find another Bond St. 1904 the case was very well brassed, with a misty brown plastic crystal described as wouldn't wind, set or run but on the principal that I am still learning, I thought you can't have too many spares and it may at least have the roller table I needed so I bought it.

The watch arrived yesterday and I set about checking it out. The balance was complete and unbroken so things were looking up. The winding and setting issues seemed to originate from the case and the crown did not appear original. Removing the winder stem from the case allowed me to wind the watch You can imagine my surprise and delight when after a few turns it started running spontaneously, a very good sign. I now have it in the Dennison case where it has been running happily for over 24 hours. It will no doubt benefit from a good clean and service but I am at this stage just happy to have saved one watch for posterity.

Photos to follow

The following are also awaiting attention

3x Waltham 16s Travelers 1899 model (various years)
1x Waltham 14s Bond St.

plus from my own Country

1x Thomas Russell & Son
1x Kendal & Dent (Key wind / set)

P.S. My next post will be far shorter :P but expect lots of questions in the future especially re american parts and cases.

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
posted
The movement...
Model: 1904
Material: U
Grade: Bd.St.,
Size: 14
Jewels: 7
Balance: Breguet Spring
Style: O.F.
Serial: 13933020
Made: 1904 (approx.)

posted
To complete the look, on my grandfathers 9ct chain...

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Welcome to the club, Gareth, and it sounds as though you are having fun from the getgo....

Your first post was a dandy, keep them coming....we thourghly enjoy them, and yes we would like to see any photos you may have of your projects....before and after if you can.

Keep up the 'good' work of restoration, and the bottom can use it as well as the top....you are a good man....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hi Gareth,Welcome to a club that has more friendly,informative people than any where I've ever been.What do you need for the Thomas Russel.Post a picture,I may be able to help you out.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gareth, you accomplished what many times we only dream of doing. Welcome to our group of "practical dreamers" and enjoy. We do share or sell parts for many of US-made watches to help each other get along with the projects.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks for all your good wishes. I'll endeavour to keep up the standards.

Norman:-
Thanks for the kind offer I'll start another thread for it in the European PW forum, and get some pictures up. Should the cock ( if that's the correct name for the part with the upper balance jewel and adjuster ) have the serial/part serial on as per Walthams? At first glance it looks like either the balance has been swapped and an incorrect staff used or the upper and lower jewels are in need of replacing. I think the first most likely.

posted
Welcome, Gareth. Smile I've been to England several times.

That's a very nice gilded Bond St for a starter watch.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Welcome Gareth from a fellow on a budget collector. Being willing to tinker is a benefit to those of us without unlimited watch buying funds. Nice pickup and save. I am coming to appreciate these older 16s Walthams myself.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010