Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Name That Watch! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
By now, you well know that the H. L. Hunley watch made the cover of our June Bulletin. I was glad to see the picture, and learn "a little more" about Col. Dixon's watch. Smile Roll Eyes

We know the watch is gold, but to what content, 14K, 18K? Confused

We also know from that article "x-rays were able to reveal a surprising amount of detail about the interior mechanism", but that we will have to "wait until more detailed results will be released". Frown

Want to speculate? Let's see if anymore or more can figure out the manufacturer, movement, dial, etc. etc. etc. Smile Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Smile

Any takers? Eek Eek

I wouldn't guess the Hunley is a railroad watch huh fellas? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

P. S.And don't cheat either if you know the Executive Director, Carol Stuckert or Daniel Neid for the inside scoop.!! Big Grin Big Grin

Stephanie O'Neil
***** Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Hi,

I need to make a correction - Col. Dixon to Lt. Dixon. Sorry. Mad

Also for more info on H. L. Hunley, check this site out:

http://www.hlhunley.com Cool

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Well,
From a horologists standpoitn those are crummy pictures. It is hard to tell what it is. My guess it was a Waltham but thats just a guess.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Stephanie.....Lt Dixon had a girlfriend and I am guessing the watch is English or Swiss if he shopped at the same Jewelry Store.

Geo
NAWCC #78594
Local Chapter #76

Posts: 111 | Location: Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: December 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Attached is an X-ray of Lt. Dixon's watch.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

[This message was edited by John D. Duvall on June 11, 2003 at 22:14.]

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Here is a movement that resembles Lt. Dixon's. It's an English Cylinder Fusee

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks Aaron, huuummmm, Waltham huh? Eek

Geo,

English or Swiss? Eek

John D,

Thanks for the magnificant pic of the x-ray of Dixon's watch!
English Fusee Cylinder huh? Eek

Any more guesses? Confused Eek Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
As you know, we have been following this captivating story since early December. Our persistence has now been rewarded. We are privileged to be able to bring you the first ever collected images of Lt. Dixon's watch.  With the help of Jim Bland, NAWCC Director of Marketing and the generosity of the Hunley Commission you are about to see for the first time anywhere clear digital images of the Hunley watch. This remarkable collection is an NAWCC Internet Horology Chapter 185 Exclusive.

We have permanently archived these priceless images in our "Chapter 185 Timekeepers Photo Gallery"...

"CLICK" THESE WORDS TO SEE THE EXCLUSIVE HUNLEY WATCH PICTURES

Lindell V. Riddle, President
Internet Horology Club

ihc185@roadrunner.com

Phone: (440) 461-0167

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Statistically, if a random person in the US has a pocket watch of unknown make in his/her dresser drawer, the best bet would be that it's probably an Elgin. Why? Because Elgin made more pocket watches that have survived through time than any other US company. The second best bet would be Waltham. Although several "dollar watch" companies produced more watches in total, as did New York Standard, those typically have not had high survival rates.

In a similar train of thought, the best statistical bet for the manufacturer of Dixon's watch would be the firm of M. I. Tobias, which exported more watches to the US than any other manufacturer of the day. We already know that the watch is of foreign origin, and statistically, that's the best bet.

*Note that the statements above say nothing of any "insider" information I may have, nor of my abilities as a "clairvoyant," they're simply statements of fact.

Wink

By the way, Lindell, I really enjoyed the pictures! Too bad they don't show the movement! Frown

========================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002