Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just acquired BWR Grade 240 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
s/n8579139 c.1900 19 jewels black lettering and not marked adjusted.I think this is of the first run.Sure is a good runner.Any info. appreciated. Regards Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted

a

IHC Member 1357
posted

q

IHC Member 1357
posted

a

posted
Roger look at the balance cock and see if "Adjusted" is not part of the detailing and a bit mingled so it is hard to read. I think all 3/4 plate Elgins were adjusted to 5 positions. Definitely a good timekeeper if it is in good serviced condition.

Some are diamond endstone and some aren't I have one of both but not one quite as early as yours. Looks to be in very good condition.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
I do see "adjusted" on the balance cock.

Marty

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
IHC Member 1357
posted
Right you are Marty,plain as day.It ran 40hrs.and 30secs.off of my computer.This is my first 240 and I am very pleased with it.Regards Roger

IHC Member 1357
posted
This one does not have the diamond endstone Frown

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
There should also be an engraving between the winding wheels that says "Adjusted 5 positions"

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
David,that is not on this movt.Only safety barrel 19 jewels,adjusted,BW Raymond Elgin,Ill.U.S.A.

posted
You will not see adj5p only the early models. Typically if it has "Adjusted" on the balance cock it will not have "Adjusted 5 Positions". If you look at one of mine below you will see it has the "Adjusted 5 Positions" around the wind wheels but nothing on the balance cock.

There were some transition models that have "Adjusted" on the balance cock and a Adjusted 5 Positions on the plates but not as nice looking.

240's are great movements, there are some varities making them well worth collecting.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A very nice looking B W R, Roger....I have three of them myself and one that is like yours, "Adjusted" on the Balance and two like the one Dave indicated....

I don't know where the SN change over came but yours is in the 8 million range, mine that is the same as yours is in the 10 million range....

My two that are engraved around the motor wheels are in the 14 & 15 million range....

Since these are very collectible and there is a variety within the grade, maybe we should give each their own designation....

Claude indicated there were 'Transition' models as well....I have never seen one of those but they sound interesting....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Jerry, Mine is also in the 10 million range. 10742134. It also has the adjusted marking on the balance cock , not between the wheels. I've had this watch for years and always loved it. Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
This is a transition type 349 but you will also see on others with "Adjusted" on the balance cock, I have a 370, 341 and a few others marked this way.

Here is the more typical 370 marking, 15M range, no "Adjusted" on the balance cock and the "Adjusted 5 Positions" is over by the serial number.

You will see some transitions on various models like this in the 12-14M range.
The requirement for the position marking was becoming more enforced and in some case Elgin did some after thought engraving.

A 12.2M Grade 341

A 13.8M sn 349 Father Time, with a bit more professional looking "5 Positions" but still has the "Adjusted" on the balance cock.

A 12.2M Grade 348

An early 14M 370, here just along the edge of the main plate and the balance cock you will see "5 Positions" but still has "Adjusted" on the balance cock.

As you get into the 14M range the engraving looked better matched and less "added on looking" and you see them moving from just being marked "Adjusted" to around the 12M mark or at least what I have seen so far.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Great looking timepieces all of them!!Perhaps as Jerry stated we should make designations as to each varient.There seems to be several.If only I had the $ to collect them all!Oh well stop dreaming.Off to work. Regards Roger

posted
Roger, I collect what I can afford so there are some grades I will never own, since I tend to be a bit of a cheap-skate. The 348 is a converted 149 so that is why the balance cock is not marked "Adjusted" but "Adjusted" is marked near the balance cock like most pre-1900's Elgins. After 1900 Elgin had a tendency to put "Adjusted" on the balance cock.

What I call transition types, which may not be the most technically correct, is a way to describe the ones that have the "Adjusted" on the balance cock and also have some markings related to positions that was not like the final version Elgin decided on.

It appears that once Elgin made the final decision they dropped the "Adjusted" off of the balance cock, much like the 1st 370 that I posted.

Maybe some of the people that have 240's in the 12M to 15M range can post them to see what the variations are.