WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fahys Oresilver No. 1 Clam Shell Case: When was it made? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I was going though a bunch of old cases I have in a box and I noticed this one case only had one hinge and it was on the bezel I thought to myself that was odd. I looked at the back of the well worn case and the back did not unscrew. Odd again.

After examining the case I realized I have a clam shell case. I had actually never seen one in person before. I checked the tag and I purchased it in 2010 for $11.50.

It is a size 18 Fahys Oresilver No.1 case sn#L8901 pat. April 5, 1881. It also has a #3 above the SN.

Can anyone tell me when this case was made? I would like to put a period correct movement in it.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
I moved it for you, Harry

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1693
posted
Interesting post Harry. I have one like it as well and could never decide exactly what movement would be correct ( how late a movt. would be correct ? )

Mine is SN W6908 also 3 oz. But mine is plain
with no engraving. My has 2 patent dates
April 5 1881 & April 22 1884

I hope someone can tell us how " new " of a movement would be correct. Jack

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Phil.

I hope so too Jack. Any movement should fit but I would like it to be period correct if possible. I also hope I have a pendant set because you need a pry bar to open this thing.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is often referred to as a "Paired Case" and it has been my experience that these were done for only a short while in the 1880's and 90's due to the more versatile (and cheaper) "swing ring" design which flourished through about WWI time.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Normally the best I have ever been able to do is look at sales catalogs and see what they show in the way of cases. In this case the best proof of age time frame is after keywinds since it does not have a hole for the key. After 1881 from the patent date, and probably before 1905 since around that time the French bow types started to become more popular and the style of the stem was different. I would not have any problem putting a movement from 1881-1899 into that case, who the heck is going to say your are wrong. A bit after 1910 18 size movement were going the way of the doo doo anyway.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you David and Claude Those answers seem to fit and make a lot of since. There you go Jack I think we have a answer.

Now to work on the edge dints some more, polish it, find a bow and glue in a crystal.

IHC Member 1693
posted
Thanks All. Yea, I think that's right....
I'll try to put a Pre-1900 Movement in it .
David ... I HATE swing out Cases. To hard to view movement.
Jack

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
posted
I looked at the Elgin site and in a 1903 sales catalog they were still showing Swiss watches with cases that looked a lot like this one. Actually with all of the scraping going on these silveroid are really picking up in prices.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Yes some day you will be lucky to even be able to get a silveroid case.