Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just"won"Bunn Special 21 jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
s/n3379102=1918.I am pretty sure the case is not original to it because of the 2 lever cuts.Would a Star"Stellar"case be apporiate?Also wondering about the dial being a#115,I think,and the the hands be apporiate for it? Any comments appreciated. Regards Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
bezel off

q

IHC Member 1357
posted
movt.

a

IHC Member 1357
posted
inside case

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Roger, "Originality" aside, tossing that case and looking for a "more appropriate" one seems like doing plaastic surgury unnecessarily.
i.e. "It is what it is", a very nicely maintained Bunn.

The movement picture indicates that it has been the only resident of that "new" case which is itself a case worthy to "recase" any good RR Watch Movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Roger it appears the case is a "restrike" case, not from the dual cut-outs, as some cases may have come with duals since the case style was a generic case suitable for all makes, but from the "pebble-grain" finish inside the case back.
Hands appear to be 992B hands. I believe the dial would be OK for your watch.
Any generic, era correct case with a medium to low pendant should work on your 1918 Bunn Special.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Star and Keystone made version of this style case that look very similiar. I would not have an issue putting any mid to late 20's movement into this style case since that is about the time they started to show up.
In the case of what to do, I will take the middle ground, this vintage of Bunn Speical is fairly common and in this case you are looking at hands and case to make it correct since I would expect Illinois plum spade hands on this movement. To get a correct case and hands would take some $$ or you can just leave it as is and on your next purchase look for a more correct Bunn Special.
The Keystone version of this case had the double cuts, or at least all that I have seen and the Star version did not have any cuts.
I have a pristine Elgin 23j grade 453 Veritas in one of these cases and feel no shame about it, the time of the movement and case is correct, the case itself is mint or if you really want to be picky (near mint)so that is why I would not have any issues leaving it as is or find the correct hands and leave all else as is.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Roger,

I agree with David, nice well-maintained Bunn Special.

It looks presentable as it is, and the dial is correct, but the case and hands are a decade or more later than the movement.

If you want to make the whole watch period correct, I would put it in a high-pendant case and install a set of plum-colored Bunn Special spade & double whip hands (see picture).

Correct 1918 Bunn Special

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I believe there is a set of hands on ebay now, no worries if not as they come up often and don't go for much. A correct case will also come up with regularity and it won't take long to find one in good shape. And when you're done you should be able to sell the case and hands currently on the watch to recover 100% of what you spent to make the watch right..... go for it and enjoy

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Here is mine but just a tad younger,dial is the same, case, hands are correct but because of my picture shooting they appear black.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks everyone.You confirmed my thoughts on the hands and case.I have a case that will work I can pick up the hands fairly cheap.I like to confer with the pros before I do something stupid! Regards Roger