Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Correct dial for an A Lincoln 18s "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I have a nice 18s A Lincoln that I was checking in the Illinois data base and it says the correct dial for this watch is "a double sunk glass enamel bold Gothic style Arabic numeral dial marked Illinois Watch Co. in old English script." That is not what is on it and I was thinking about trying to find one for it.
Is this the style of dial that it is calling for?
Also are the hands correct?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Ed-

The picture you posted looks correct to me for an Abe Lincoln 18s. If yours doesn't have that dial, it was probably the victim of a bunn special needing a better dial as they use the same... FYI, A gothic dial with light hairlines will run $100 and more if they are hairline free.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Ed, I have the same dial and hands on one of my 18s Illinois.

Seth Thomas uses these same hands on the Model 5, which always made me wonder if there wasn't either a link between the two companies (which is unlikely) or they had the same supplier.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
That dial would look fine on my A. Lincoln Eric!

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have the same style dial on my 12s 1916 Model 409, so it wasn't just used on the railroad watches.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1016
posted
Ed, there are several styles of the Gothic Dial. I'm not an expert, but I do believe the one you pictured is correct. I don't know if that's your watch. If it is, don't mess with the dial. If you find a stash I could use one for my Abe L.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
No that is not my watch, I wish it was though!
Something else to place on my "wanted" list. Roll Eyes

posted
I've got couple "spares" I've had for a while and have been waiting for the right watch for. I know Bruce Byrd is looking for one too in the wanted area. Maybe I should just put them in the auction portion!

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
That would be nice Jared. Or, you could just send one to your old buddy Mike! BTW, the dial feet need to be in the right place and they are HC/OF specific.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Jared, that would be cool. I can understand holding on to them also.. Those dials are like gold!

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002