Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone Railroader case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I am sure this has been discussed somewhere but can anyone give me the timeframe of this Keystone railroad case? It has a 19 jewel Bunn movement in it from the 1915 era and I don't think it is correct for that movement.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have an identical case with a 1921 Elgin Father Time installed. I don't know if it's an original casing or not, but I don't see any other case screw marks in mine, so it might be.

Regard !Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Mark,

I agree with your timeline. I think I remember someone saying these were out in the early through mid twenties. I don't think this 1915 movement would have come with it unless it sat in the vault for awhile. This one however was in the very first run of 300 19 jewel Bunns so I don't think it would have sat there long.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I think these were made on up till the time hamilton came out with the 950e and 992e,s at least till 1940 when hamilton made their mainliner case which was almost the same just a few slight differences ,,the basic frame and style were the same Smile.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
A little more fuel for the fire:

If you own a copy of 'Pendant and Pocket Watches, 1500-1950' by C. Jeanenne Bell, copyright 2004, and go to page 302, you will see pictured at the top of the page a 1910 Howard 16s railroad pocket watch housed in this very same case, so here's another example of a watch, a Howard no less, in a case that's 5 years older than YOUR watch. Since Howard became Keystone-Howard in 1902, the casing could make sense.

Once again, I have no clue if it's an original casing, but looking at the photo, there are no other case marks in the case, and the watch looks pristine in the picture, so it may have come from the factory in this configuration. Your watch may very well be an original matchup.

According to the ownership credit on the photo, it belongs to Ed Ueberall. Maybe he can shed more light on the subject if he cares to. Ed?

Regards !Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is one I own that appears similar except for the bar over the crown, it is a Howard Series 11 made in 1917 & appears to be the orginal case with only the one set of matching case scew marks.

Tom

Howard

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007