• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Big 18s Keywind "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Everybody, I've had this big fellow for sometime now. Has anyone seen a case and dial combo like this? The dial depicts a wilderness scene with a chap carrying a long rifle. The case and dial bear no markings other than the 16821 shown.

posted
The Elgin KW/KS movement is not original but runs well and keeps time. Not at all fussy.

posted
This baby got back!

posted
And front. All hinges are quite strong. It appears that someone notched the hinged bezel to accommodate a lever set.

posted
I know very little about this case. I have little faith in what I was told by the seller. But, it is interesting on its own merits. Kind of strains the pocket watch concept though, more like a saddle bag watch-or maybe a portable car clock. Maybe this gets a good thread going about oddballs like this. In this photo, alongside a 16s for scale, you can see its exaggerated proportions.

posted
So I welcome all comments, even from those of you who will ask if I am really dumb enough to buy a re-cased alarm clock.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The movement angle is a little difficult, but the elgin database below says it is a slow train. The case AND THE DIAL are MOST INTERESTING!.

Serial Number SN Range Quanty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
556250 556001 1000 None 1878 12* 18s hfg1ks 7-11j
# marked "None" according to 1896 MC

12 70255 made key model 1 7-11j Marked OGD, FAR, FGO, None, AGE or CHF. gilded slow train (4.5 bps) OGD: 11j? split balance FAR: 13j? solid balance FGO: 7j solid balance None: 7j split balance

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Dave, I hoped you'd jump in. The movement is quite reliable. But the dial is the most unusual aspect of what must be a custom effort. It appears to be an engraving over gold filled something or other. Its not brass. The style of dress of the character depicted and the "long rifle" suggest pre-War Between the States era. But its only a depiction of something. And the numbering of the case may mean something, a non U.S. dating convention? If you can think of anything else I may do to help unravel this odd fellow you've but to ask. Thanks

IHC Member
posted
Mike-I had to jump in here...You told me about this pocket but a picture speaks,etc.-and this one really does. I have no idea the story behind this guy but I'd hang onto it;what a curiosity! it sure looks bigger than 18S,doesn't it? I had an oversized 18S silveroid case once this size reminds me of-but that's the only comparison I can make-sure hope somebody out there knows somethin'...

Marty

posted
Hi Marty, It looks like I've stumped the forum here. Maybe this was made by a jeweler for his own purpose. Its nice gold. I didn't polish it for the pictures but it really glows. Maybe someone will come up with something. I'm still waiting for You Know Who (YKW) to add his thoughts.

posted
By the way, look at the size of those hinges and the seconds bit. Maybe this was made for a sight impaired person?