Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This really IS a Hamilton 952! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I found this on eBay and bid it as I have no Hamilton Bridge models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...IT&item=300292944619

I was very surprised that I won it! The inscription on the Dust cover is dated July 4 1915 Did I "mess up"? (Sorry, I had to print and re-scan the pic)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

Very nice watch & it looks like you got a bargin plus a one star watch. Great job!.

Here is some info I found for you.

Carl Young Kennedy was born July 4, 1894 & died Aug 31, 1971. His father was William Kennedy born 11/1865, mother Mary A. born 03/1861, he had a brother William born 07/1892& a niece Mary born 08/1898 lived with them in 1900 in Westbrook City, Cumberland, Maine. His father was born in Nova Scotia & his mother in Maine, the other 3 all born in Maine.

In 1920 they were all still living together without the niece, Carl was listed as a salesman at a bakery & his father & brother were farmers

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
A little more if you are interested.

By 1920 he is still working at the bakery but now living as a boarder in another house.

Looks like by 1930 Carl was still living in Maine & was married to Freda R. & they had 3 daughters, Rita F, Dorthea E. & Eleanor E. at this time Carl is now listed a forman lumberman.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom Thank You! You nailed it! This was his 21st birthday gift citing July 4th, 1915, so you found the real Carl Kennedy for sure!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I sometimes think that Tom and Sheila should go into business with each other and work nothing but Cold Cases.... Big Grin Good job Tom....

Dave you have found another "Jewel", how does this boy do it.... Razz Way to go....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Glad to help, I enjoy looking for these people. After 35 years as a detective I guess I should be good at something, too bad it doesn't pay.

Tom

posted
What a fantastic story! It's a wonder people let these things out of the family. The father must have been a very successful farmer to be able to afford a watch like that. Wonderful watch!

Steve

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It also made me think that more than likely there was another watch out there that was given to the older brother. Would be neat to have them both.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I had to take some quick pics so I could
"oogle".

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gotta fix that dial, it is a "four poster", but the movement is STUNNIING!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
That sure is nice David, great buy.

I can't tell from your photo & I can't imagine they match but is your movement serial number the same number as the case? Looks close but I can't really read the case number.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom, I wish it was the same as the Movement number which is 840080. The case back cover and cuvette are both 8364256, the case number you saw next to the movement is 64256, and the front crystal cover has the roman numerals IV II V VI (4256). Thank you for making me check that anyway.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Oh your welcome, I thought that would be an added bonus but like I said I figured they were not the same but I had to ask. Still a great buy.

Tom