Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Beenie the Brakeman: Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I was wondering if anyone here could offer me some education about Hamilton Watch Co.'s "Beenie the Brakeman". From what I understand, this was a statue that Hamilton offered to Hamilton retailers in the late 1920's as a special display for the 992.

I've never seen one in person, but was offered one recently. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions & information.

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
William,

"Akkie" as he was called, was one of about 30 different window displays that Hamilton lent to jewelers and used at trade shows. Many were motorized as well as the stationary example you pictured. Other displays included "Akkie" rinding a train, Akkie swinging a signal lantern, Davy Crockett with chest moving in and out after killing a bear, A twirling ballerina and others.

I am sure many did not survive due to their fragile nature. Hamilton actually employed a full time person by the name of Ernie Grava to construct and maintain these items as they were frequently returned in damaged condition.

In short, I would recommend you pick this one up if its in nice condition. Feel free to email or post any additional questions.

Hope this helps.

Rhett

[This message was edited by rrstd on June 29, 2003 at 10:56.]

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
ThanK you so much for the information. I have so much to learn! Wink

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003