Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OK Explain GETTY to me "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I was checking out David's 185-187 issue and remembered the Getty I purchased here on the board, and love the watch, but I never really knew what a Getty was back then, and would really like to know what it means to be a Getty.
Thanks to all,

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I Quote from Pg 45 Serpt 1985 1st Printing, Meggers/Ehrhardt: "American Pocket Watches, Illinois Watches";

"The 16-size . . . "thin models" designated as Models 4 and 5 were introduced in 1896. The highest quality grades in this group are the . . . "Sangamo" and the numbered Grades "179", "187" and "189". . . . The Models 4 and 5 were designed by Fred I. Getty and are THE ONLY AMERICAN WATCHES TO BE MADE WITH THE SINGLE EXPOSED WINDING WHEEL(!); many collectors (including yours truly) consider them to be the most artistically designed watches ever made"

I must add my opinion that Getty designs are mechanically superior for that period.

#6 is a Getty. It is alway recognizable from the other 16s Illinois movements for its unique crescent shaped "click". (Sometimes fitting these scans to the limited memory of these threads is a pain! Mad)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you David, now can you tell me where the winding wheel is located? Is it a center wheel? Small? Large? I have no idea.
Thank you,

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, somehow this reminds me of when I had to explain a "new" algorithm for some "dynamic" nuclear physics to some people who I thought only made Milk Cartons and who were sitting around a table in a 500k sq. ft. windowless bldg. "hidden" near Walled Lake Michigan. (Many years ago) Roll Eyes
Here Goes, The "normal" wind mechanism on most "3/4" plate pocket watches has two EXPOSED winding wheels. The small one driven by the ratchet equipped wind stem that engages the larger wheel attached to the spring barrel . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mr. Getty very neatly and cleverly designed a vertically stacked and ratcheted smaller wind gear set that was under the plate and hidded except for the shaft it was turning on. That design leaves one EXPOSED winding wheel over the spring barrel. I hope this helps you understand Mr. Getty's unique and very good design . . .

posted
David,
Oh my goodness, so THAT is what I have wondered about all this time! I have seen them, and didn't know that this was them! Eek Big Grin

What a wonderful presentation! Just PERFECT.

I'm going to copy this so that when I'm confused again, I can look it up. Of course, that will most likely be tomorrow, cause my mind stays in bed most days.

Thank you for the wonderful illustrations, they are very much appreciated.

Sheila

posted
David,
I forgot to mention that these are also some Gorgeous watches!

Just look at them, outstanding! Yours???

Beautiful!

Sheila

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David, great presentation. I never realized the crescent shaped click was only on the Getty model.

Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, The watches I use for pictures are all from my personal collection.