WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here is a private label watch that I need info on if available "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
This a 0size 14K gold ladies watch that is age placed by it's monogram as being at Christmas 1905. I have had the watch a couple of years but really know very little about the watch.

Serial number is 1661071 in case you can't make it out of the photos.

It has Mermod, Jaccard & King on the face and it is a 15 jewel movement. Also has Constant,St.Louis / New York on the movement.

Can anyone tell me the maker of the watch by looking at the movement.

Thanks to all....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Front & Rear of the case

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Movement#1

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
movement #2

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Inside rear cover

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
rear view

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A better view

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Face #2

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wow Jerry, look at that crisp design!

This is about as good as a private label gets Eek even the case is signed with the retailer's name.

Very, very nice... sorry I cannot help much with the movement and I may be wrong but it has a high grade Swiss look about it from what I am seeing. Let's find out what others say about that.

Thanks for sharing this very special Christmas watch from long ago.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
quote:
Mermod, Jaccard & King

Mermod Jaccard King Jewelry Co. of St. Louis, Missouri from 1829 but King was added in1905

Bottom of the 2nd page

MJ&C

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
This is the view that dates the watch to 1905

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
You can see a large selection of Mermod, Jaccard & King Watches on Elgin's site under Private Label watches. see the link.

http://elginwatches.org/databases/PL_names.html

Also, quite often a watch marked with a date, doesn't necessarily mean it's the date made, but you can almost bet that it's pretty close.

I wish I knew who made the movement, it's got great damaskeening.

Very nice watch!

Thank you for sharing it.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Well I finally removed the movement from the case and lo & behold, within the movement was one word....SWISS Big Grin so we know it is a 15 jewel swiss movement.
Doesn't say who but at least we now know that the movement is swiss as Lindell suggested and I have no idea how to go about finding out that bit of info. Maybe someone in the club has an idea of how to do it. We will see.

A little more light is shed but the plot also thickens.... Confused

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of John "cranster" McElhenny
posted
That screams Longines to me (Sam not John posting this) and the serial number puts it at 1905 on Longines serial number chart!

Posts: 349 | Location: Western New York in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 22, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Sammy,
You may have it nailed.... Smile Unless someone comes up with anything more definitively....

Thanks for the info.

Jerry

posted
BOY!!!! If you want to know all about this company, and especially the men who started it all, check out this site.

It's all here
There is more than one so read.

I must also add that some of their watches could very well be American made. They manufactured watches too!!!
They have a long history with swiss watches, and also Paris!

http://www.looktothepast.com/jacksonbios06.html

Sheila

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Without question Mermod, Jaccard & King was a very high grade "manufacturing jeweler" which means they made custom jewelry, some on site and some to special order. You are right Sheila, many of the watches they sold were domestically produced and private labeled for them just as were the Swiss examples such as this one. Thanks to Sam for nailing it down, as I said earlier a private label watch does not get much better than this one, Jerry now has the previously missing information to complete the story.

"Longines, the World's Most Honored Watch" ...was their slogan for many, many years.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Way to go Sam! I knew it was Swiss, but I don't know them very well. Wish I had your eye.

I had remembered that the private label name was on a lot of watches, like Elgin, Rockford, and another one, but since I don't know much about Swiss watches, I was at a loss.

Well, this post got me some great information on the company, that's for sure.

Great Post! Thanks everyone!

Sheila

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
WOW !! Big Grin Big Grin

You guys are something else....I have been looking off and on for over a year without much headway. I had pretty much ruled out Elgin or Waltham but I never wanted to remove the movement from the case,not with my thick bumbly fingers, but when I did it was obvious as everyone else suspected.

Then Sammy nailed the maker and Sheila provided some very informative info along with Lindell, boy we sure have an encyclopedic membership....

Thanks, EVERONE !! I really appreciate your efforts.

All, Be Well....
Wink
Jerry

posted
Here is a private label Longenes for comparison, but mine is a 16 size. The bridge construction is very similar, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. This was made for William Homuth, of Bloomington, Illinois.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Dial side:

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
This watch is specific in more ways than one. It is dated inside the back cover (I feel sure the case is original because it is thinner than an ordinary 16s) 1917. Difficult to read in this photo, but consistent with the chart above, which provides a production date of 1912. I think it is reasonable to assume the five years for finishing, distribution, export and sale. It looks very similar to your smaller watch.

posted
By the way, it is specifically marked "Longenes swiss" and the serial number is 2778496.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Nice Private Label, Steve....

Thanks for showing your watch here on IHC185. Some of the Private Label watches can be a challenge in identification.

Thanks for the info....

Regards,
Jerry