Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Riverside Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I picked this up just recently. Any help identifying this beyond it is a Waltham Riverside.
The serial number is 9137245.
Thanks

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Keith,

Apparently that is a Model 88 Riverside 16-size, three quarter plate, 15-Jewel, Open-Face, Patent Regulator, Breguet Hairspring, Premium Material, and number 9137245 is from about 1900 production.

Looks like a nice example.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Keith, It is beautiful! I notice that it has gold plated screws, is it a two tone Gold/Nickel movement also?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 48
posted
Thanks Lin for the information.

Yes Dave it is a two tone movement. Does that change anything that Lin stated. Is this a high production watch or a special verision with the two tone?

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dave knows Walthams better than I do Keith, but as I said, I thought it looked to be a pretty nice example. Check out the somewhat earlier one from my collection in the image below this post.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi,
how many watches do you have Lindell? every time someone says about a watch it seems you have a super nice one to show.
james

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I wonder about the same thing. I think he has one of every model ever made & probably the cleanest one of the model!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Keith, any Two-Tone run is a limited edition run. Your watch came from a 1,500 piece run, but according to my old VP of Mfg., Waltham was in the habit od making sub-special runs within a model; run for any reason under the sun, and I expect that yours is in fact a very rare piece.

As for Lindell's watches, remember he has the time machine from the movie.(You know that was a working model right?)

After all this 88 talk, I had to "show" the s/n 5719066 model 88 I just finished today. I got it with a broken main and tt's near perfect, I think many times watches with a broken mainspring are better deals because they stayed in storage for about 90% of their past lifetime while the owner procrastinated about getting them fixed! This one is only "1 tone" phooey! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Keith, The Riverside you have actually "Ranks" mine and equals Lin's as a Riverside. Lindell, I just noticed that my "Adjusted" is actually on the Balance Cock, they probably wore out their other little tools doing all the engraving on yours the month b4 they made mine!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well this isn't an 88 it is an 1892 but I thought since we were talking Walthams I would post it. I picked this one up in NH last month when I was visiting my daughter, it had a broken balance staff but now it runs along.

It is an Model 1892 Vanguard 23 jewel with diamond end stones.

Tom

Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I had never had one with the diamond end stones before & I always thought the diamond was just on the balance cock, when I took this one apart I found a diamond en stone under the dial too. At first I thought it was a broken cap jewel but looking closer it realized it was a diamond.

The dial was pretty nice too.

Tom

Dial

IHC Member 48
posted
Dave and Lin

Thanks again for the great answers to my questions.

Keith